Engine buzz’s and won’t turn over

Boater3924

Recruit
We just had our 1994 four winns fully serviced at the dealer. It ran great for a day but the following day after some boating I noticed it wouldn’t go into reverse. In fact when I put it in reverse it took off. It also wouldn’t idle in neutral. Popped the hood and there was a loose bolt to the mechanism that is controlled by the throttle so I tightened it. Now it won’t turn over. In fact it won’t even click. The engine makes this buzzing sound when I start the ignition. I loosened the bolt I tightened but it didn’t make a difference. Any help would be appreciated. I took a video and will try and post

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What motor,..?? What drive,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
guessing the starter shaft is busted and the bendix drive not coming out to engage the flywheel

Boater3924

Recruit
Thanks. Am I not on the forum page? If not I apologize. I’m a newbie. It’s a 4.3 cobra inboard outboard. Not sure about the drive. . Have never heard an engine make that sound before. I’m not sure what happened but after sitting overnight I went out this morning and it turned over and ran great. I’m still nervous about it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Take a hammer with you. If this issue repeats, tap the starter (don't beat it to death) while someone turns the key. If the issue resolves, you need a starter. Otherwise intermittent issues generally end up being due to poor/corroded connections.