1996 johnson 48 spl wiring

Shawn Williams

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 16' cape craft cc with a 96 48 spl.
Boat ran rough. I have rebuilt carbs, replaced power pack, replaced coil, plugs, reeds, and it was running pretty well.
I recently installed a garmin and wired it to an accessory switch.
Meanwhile I lost power to the ignition.
I went back through to see what had happend.
I had two sets of three wires to nothing. One with purple, white with brn line and black the other with purple, grey, and black.
Through reading this forum I see the grey, black and purple are for the tach.
When I power either purple I get an alarm the tach warning light flash in order and have power to the ignition. But the tack does not work correctly. I don't believe I'm getting power back to the battery I was left stuck with a dead one last week but that could be another issue I'm having with a sticking tilt button. Any help would be great. Also the tach has a harness to it with maybe 6-8 wires. So I'm unsure if the three with the purple grey and black are even needed? The boat starts and runs the tach is jumpy. But I'm powering the ignition from the accessories switch through the purple wire.

Last edited:

Shawn Williams

Recruit
OK a little update after reading more forums I found it was the fuse that was in the engine that was the culprit for no power to the ignition. Now what do I do with the 6 wires going nowhere and I still have a tach that goes from 2-5 and does not seem to coordinate with the engine rpms.
Could this fuse problem be the reason for a dead battery?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Fuses blow because of over-current or short circuit condition. A little terminology correction here as well. You said you had no current "back" to the battery. Current is supplied by the battery. You also said you powered the purple wire. You don't apply power to those wires. They "supply" power. You need to be more specific on what you actually hooked what to. You obviously blew the engine fuse by applying power where it was not needed.

Shawn Williams

Recruit
Yes I blew a fuse that was in the engine case. Probably by testing wires and supplying power where it was not needed.
The only way for me to get power to the ignition was to put power on the purple wire for it to start. After replacing the fuse the power on purple was not needed for the ignition to start.
But that's behind me fuse has been replaced and I have two purples a white with brown strip and two black wires with no home. Thats OK if they are not needed.
If I don't get power back to the battery how will it ever charge?
I'm looking for help on the tach still. It has power and moves just not how it should.