Push button start help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so why not a boat now??

because race vehicles, cars, trucks and hot-rods dont get wet, so the $.20 chinese switches may work for a few weeks in a car, any moisture and the marginally plated material will rust up like crazy. also anyone with any experience and training avoid the chinese ebay switches, panels, and gauges like the plague. nothing but trouble and the worst thing for a race car or hot rod is for the ignition switch to be intermittent or kill the motor due to vibration and loosing contact. Every one of my hot rods was powered by a keyed ignition switch or a tyco toggle switch and a cole hersee push button

and then there is the magneto ignition issue. that you simply ignored even though there are now 4 posts pointing it out.

we are here to help, as all on this site promote proper and safe boating, as well as learning. we do not spoon feed you. if we tell you to go in a direction or to not go down a path you are trying to go down, its for a very good reason

to get the motor to start, disconnect all the wires and turn the motor over. to get it to stop, short the ignition to ground

please research magneto ignition and IP66 switches and SAE J1171 compliance

Woody2three

Cadet
Now it makes sense it needs to be open to run, that is the part I did not get because it’s the opposite of any electronics I have experience in. I read the post about the magneto ignition then asked again why is it “off = run” and “on = stop”. I’m not being ignorant to the fact nobody does it for whatever reason they have, just trying to accomplish doing it this way because seemed like a fun project. Guess I’ll take everyone’s advice and spend money on a key.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If it sounds like fun, go ahead and do it. Our comments were directed to your misunderstanding of how things operate. You can do what you want to do but understand it ALL before you launch into it and above all, use the proper parts.