Push button start help

Woody2three

Cadet
So I got a old Starcraft with evinrude lark iv in pieces, that’s how we got it. No controls or steering and wiring all chopped up. Been working on it awhile now and do not have a key, so figured why not put a push starter on it. Then trying to figure out the wiring I realized why I should have just got a new key or ignition. Can anybody help on how we should wire this thing.

Attachments

• photo316088.png
    photo316088.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Woody2three

Cadet
This is the end of the wiring harness, attached the the wire terminals just to try and keep it organized. The other is the push start and relay.

Attachments

• photo316089.jpg
    photo316089.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo316090.jpg
    photo316090.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Ok -- so you use a button to start the engine. How do you plan to STOP the engine? Yup, another button. Then how do you plan to operate the electric choke which would then require another button. See where this is leading you? Ignition switches are not budget busters and a heck of a lot more convenient than multiple buttons/switches that also provide no theft protection.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
controls with the proper key switch would be best.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can use a single pole double throw switch and two push buttons to replace the ignition switch and choke button. If you have the automatic choke that early Larks had, a single push button and that SPDT are all that is needed.

As for security... if the boat is in the water, it can be towed away to steal. No protection provided by an ign keyswitch.

If on a trailer... ah ditto.

Also, an outboard engine can be hot wired really easily. Keyswitches provide almost no protection against theft by someone with a little bit of knowledge. I could hotwire most any engine with a wire cutter or screwdriver and a single jumper wire.

Woody2three

Cadet
I am not to worried about theft protection since do not leave it anywhere unattended, plan to do the same as past boats I’ve had just drop it in the morning and take it out when done.

It seems the “main” switch would turn on the ignition/battery, and the push start would engage the starter to start the engine. The choke is auto so could be added to the main switch or add another normally off button. Does that seem correct?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so you are now up to 3 IP 66 rated switches vs a single key switch that does everything?

Woody2three

Cadet
Ok, that panel I have had 4 toggle switches and a push button, might not be the way anybody wants to do it but it’s free and never have to worry about losing the keys!!

Woody2three

Cadet
Just asking for help on how to wire it up and make it work since I do not have much experience in wiring like this and would like to have a boat can take my family out or go fishing in once in a while.

Attachments

• photo316435.jpg
    photo316435.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 1

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You could use 2 dinky push buttons. One to energize the starter solenoid to crank motor, one to ground the points to stop motor.

In my case, I usually have some dinky push buttons laying around.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
it may be free, however those are not water proof switches.

so after a few weeks you will have all sorts of corrosion related gremlins with your switches.

Not to mention you have switches for a powered ignition vs the magneto style on your outboard.

Woody2three

Cadet
So use one push button to connect the White(going to the starter solenoid) and the Black(starter switch) to start it, and another push button in line with the Black(going to the condenser) and to ground to stop it?

Woody2three

Cadet
I was thinking something like the first switch(on/off) would be like turning the key into the "on" position, then push the "engine start" to start it, then just switch the "on/off" to off and it would act as a kill switch?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you have to buy the switches you would be well on your way to the cost of new ignition switch with no rewiring necessary. If the ON-OFF switch you intend to use is marked ON and OFF, when you are finished wiring, the ON position would kill the engine and OFF would be the RUN position. How cool is that.

Woody2three

Cadet
I already have those switches from an old project and pretty sure got a few more push buttons and toggle switches laying around before I buy anything, yes if the cost starts going up I will get a new ignition and key, but since already have all this just trying to do it for free and learn a little while at it.

If the switch was ON, wouldn’t that make the contact or circuit needed to run when started, then when switched off it would break contact and shut off? Maybe I do not really understand outboard wiring I guess.

matt167

Captain
You could use an Arduino or other type micro controller, to run a program with an auto start controlling the choke, ignition and stop and it would operate like a modern car. however it would require a tach signal to be set precisely just above the starter speed without ignition so that it stopped turning once it was fired up... But it's pretty complex and the micro controller won't be marine safe/ rated.

Woody2three

Cadet
Hmmm,,, I do have a few Arduino boards and some metro minis,, but that might be over doing it. Sounds interesting and would like to see some one do it. Then you could even add remote control for starting and lights!!!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you cant add intelligence to an old outboard to make it auto-start. your comments above prove you know nothing of temperamental older 2-stroke outboards and your going thru a lot of trouble to avoid spending $25 on a key switch

Woody2three

Cadet
"your comments above prove you know nothing of temperamental older 2-stroke outboards" thank you for proving something I already admitted to not knowing much about outboard wiring, your contribution to this conversation really helped with figuring out the project that is for fun and just trying something new. Many have put panels like this in hot rods and race cars, classic cars and off road vehicles, motorcycles and other projects, so why not a boat now??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I already have those switches from an old project and pretty sure got a few more push buttons and toggle switches laying around before I buy anything, yes if the cost starts going up I will get a new ignition and key, but since already have all this just trying to do it for free and learn a little while at it.

If the switch was ON, wouldn’t that make the contact or circuit needed to run when started, then when switched off it would break contact and shut off? Maybe I do not really understand outboard wiring I guess.

You do not understand how a magneto ignition system works. To stop a magneto ignition engine you short the magneto to ground. That means STOP is the ON position of the switch. The circuit must be OPEN for the engine to run hence the OFF position of the switch is RUN.