New Boat and question about wiring

dave_s1987

Recruit
Hey guys, I am new to this site and was hoping I may be able to get some help with a question or 2. I recently purchases a 2015 legend 18 xtr and my question is regarding the wiring for the boat/trolling motor.

Basically I noticed that there is 2 deep cycle batteries at the front of the boat to power the 12v electric trolling motor (I think) and they are run in parallel to give more AH capacity as far as I can tell. For some reason there is one set of terminals in there that are hooked to the positive on one battery and the negative on the second battery. There is also a second set of terminal in that area that have been taped off with electrical tape and I have no idea why. I guess my question is does anyone know why that would be done like that? and do think there is any way I could damage by just taking the tape off and connecting them to the deepcycle?

So far there havent been any issues and all the electronics work just fine. The only issue I have is that when I start my big motor (the boat has a 9.9 and a 115hp) the fish finder shuts right down and I ahve to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work again. I think that bay be cause by the fish finder battery running off my cranking battery but I ahvent actually looked yet as my boat is in storage right now. I also dont know why they would run the fish finder off the cranking battery seeing as how I have to deep cycles in the front for stuff like that.

Anyways just thought I would see if someone could help clarify this stuff for me or if someone had any advise. I tried to attach a pic of the taped off terminals but it would not upload due to size issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TunaFish389

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the voltage for the trolling motor 12v or 24v. This will tell you if you need to run in parallel for 12v or series for 24v. Then get rid of the extra wires. Sounds like previous owner ran both ways.

As far as the fish finder, keep it off until you have started motor or move it to deep cycle side.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
often times, just running a separate dedicated power line to the fish finder, will supply enough voltage to keep it from turning off.

where does the fish finder power tap in now?