Smaller garmin plotters - Striker vs Echomap Plus

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have experience with the Garmin Striker 5cv or Echomap 63cv? If so - what are your thoughts? Comments, critiques? How is the interface?

I have a Garmin 820xs with Bluechart G2 Vision cartography I run on my boat and I want to get another, smaller, unit for another boat we have. The unit is only going to run a sounder and GPS so a higher-horsepower plotter isn't what I need, I don't think. I have the cabling to route the VHF radio I have to my 820 - the VHF radio has an AIS receiver in it. I don't need the capability, but it is neat to do it when I'm in an area with commercial traffic that uses AIS.

I'm thinking Garmin had some smaller touch screen units back about 4 years ago. It doesn't look like they are offering those anymore - the smallest "touch screen" (with button assist) is the 7" Echomap unit. Though, if I could find one of the older ones (within that 4 year generation or newer) that might be the route to go.

I want a good Chirp sounder, so the unit has to be Chirp capable.

I run a Garmin Dezel 780 in my truck (semi) and have the Smart Notifications. It looks like some of the newer marine units have adopted that feature now also. Though that is nice on the road, how and where we run our boats I think that would be overkill but if the unit did that I would probably set up some of our phones to do that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’m pretty sure the Striker is a fish finder with gps.
I don’t believe they have capabilities

TunaFish389

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I run the striker 4 plus, which doesn't have clearvu, that I really like. The touch screen or lack there of gets me some time as I try to push it. The screen is easy to view in daylight. It holds depth at speeds (~30mph). The Garmin Quickdraw™ Contours is alright but you have to cruise around to map bottom. I have done three passes on my home reservoir and not even close to mapping bottom. Good thing I can do this at cruising speed.

As for the two. One has bigger screen. Both run the same transponder. One has built in maps. I would think that last one would make up the fifty dollar difference.

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Striker 7sv on one boat
it works nicely, provides good detail of the bottom but doesn't have charts. You can create your own map by putting in points. I just purchased a 54cv, so far it's half way installed. The installed maps are great as is the infollowing it provides (currents, moon, sun positions and times of set, boat ramps, fuel locations, 3D perspective, NMEA 2000 interface etc ) I haven't gotten a chance to install the the transducer yet, I'm in the middle of installing it. Happy so far with it and it was half the price of my striker 7sv. They both a have CHIRP, but the 54cv lacks side view