Installing a transom trim switch

kaulbr

Seaman
My boat doesn't have a transom trim switch and, for squeezing it into the garage where I need to lower the transom to almost hitting the ground, it'd be really useful if it had one. My mechanical skills are quite limited so I just wanted to see if anyone here has ever installed one and how difficult it is to do.

kaulbr

Seaman
My boat doesn't have a transom trim switch and, for squeezing it into the garage where I need to lower the transom to almost hitting the ground, it'd be really useful if it had one. My mechanical skills are quite limited so I just wanted to see if anyone here has ever installed one and how difficult it is to do.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I assume you're talking about a sterndrive? Very easy and one of the most useful things I've done. The hardest part is drilling the center hole. There's a Youtube video and search this site also. Seems like I remember a very good write up on here somewhere. The wiring is easy. All you do is unplug the existing plug, plug the new one in between, done.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I agree with Stinnett21; this is an extremely simple modification. I installed the Mercruiser remote trim switch (see picture below) and it's connectors simply plugged into the existing connectors. You need to pick a good spot, then drill a largish hole (for the wires etc.), plus a couple of small holes for the screws to fasten the switch to the hull.

The trickiest part is drilling the hole; in fiberglass, I put blue painters tape over the spot where I would drill, then used a Forstner bit to get a nice clean hole with no chipping of the gelcoat.

This was one of the best value improvements I've done on my boat; it's so much easier to raise and lower the drive; no more climbing in and out of the boat just to drop the outdrive. It's also handy to drain the drive after a day on the river. If I were ever to replace my current boat, this is one of the first mods I'd make.

Attachments

• photo314494.jpg
    photo314494.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1