3 Bank charger w/24v system

FlippinOut

Cadet
Got 3 batteries with 2 being designated for my 24v trolling motor. Also have a Cabelas Angler Pro Series charger.

Two of the charging bank lights are solid red when connected, but the 3rd bank, connected to one of the 2 TM batteries is only lighting up when I disconnect it from the battery. When I connect it, it turns off and I get the little red flashing light.

What gives?

Should this be hooked up a different way because of the 24v system?

alldodge

Staff member
Have you tried swapping the leads with one of the other bats to see if it follows the leads or stays with the bat?

FlippinOut

Cadet
Hmm, well that seems to have worked. I swapped the leads from the two TM batteries and all three bank lights are now on and the green “ready/maintain” light is on.

Not quite sure how that made a difference, but wiring can be particular I guess. Thanks, AllDodge, for the response.

alldodge

Staff member
How could you move both sets TM bat leads to the start bat? Probably just missing something in the translation. If it was just moved them around, maybe just had a bad connection.

FlippinOut

Cadet
How could you move both sets TM bat leads to the start bat? Probably just missing something in the translation. If it was just moved them around, maybe just had a bad connection.

Starting battery is on one side and two TM batteries are side by side on the other. One of the trolling motor batteries was the one not lighting up on the 3-bank charger. I swapped those two leads with the other battery next to it and both worked.

I had checked the connections, but you never know, could have just not been making a good one.

FlippinOut

Cadet
So that wasn’t it. Looks like it might be the wiring in the middle bank. Light went out again and I jiggled the wires at the charger and it flickered. I’ll check it out.

alldodge

Staff member
Might just be the light has an issue and not the charger. Measure power when turned ON and if charge rate is the same

FlippinOut

Cadet
Sorry for my ignorance on electrical, but how do you test this with a multi-meter? I have one. Do I check the ends of the leads from the three banks on the same setting as when checking a battery for charge?

I checked all three batteries when connected and got 12.8 volts on all 3. I then unhooked the charger leads and checked the ends on the same setting. 0 volts. The third bank light did come on when I unhooked it from the battery.

Am I checking the charger correctly?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes use a meter

If the batterys are fully charged and charger is turned OFF, each bat should read around 12.7V give or take. The meter being used can have variations. When charger is first turned ON and a bat needing to be recharged I would expect to see 14V or so. After it brings the bat up, it would lower

The manual shows what you should measure based on the status lights
You can download the manual by searching for the name of the charger. I tried to attach but its over 2MB

The thing to note, is if the green light is lit then the charging does not find an issue and should be working fine (according to the manual)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	10750347Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	10750348

FlippinOut

Cadet
Here’s my multimeter. What setting is to check amps from my charger leads?

Attachments

• photo314040.jpg
    photo314040.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Don't check amps, check voltage. Red to Positive postl and Black to Negative post

meter.jpg

FlippinOut

Cadet
Ok great info. I checked all three batteries and each reads 12.7 or 12.8 whether the tender is connected or not. Maybe since they’re fully charged, it’s not giving much, if any, juice to them unless they drop.

Attached a pic of my charger, which now after another disconnect and reconnect is showing all three banks lit and no errors.

I’ll see see how it works over the next few days. Really appreciate the help!!

Attachments

• photo314048.jpg
    photo314048.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Need the model number off the charger. Reason is the Lead acid/AGM/Gel light. I'm assuming that to would say something and need to look up the manual for it. There is probably nothing wrong, but there should also be a switch that probably would be switched to what ever type of bats you have installed

FlippinOut

Cadet
I have the manual for it. Attached a pic of the cover and the wiring pics inside. What’s unusual is my batteries are not connected together, sequence or parallel. I think my TM plug at the bow is making my 12/24V connection, because it works on both settings and you can tell the huge speed increase when on 24v. Not sure if I’m supposed to connect the two TM batteries together for this charger, but the lights are on and working as in my previous pic, but the batteries show 12.8 with or without it plugged into house power.

Attachments

• photo314117.jpg
    photo314117.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314118.jpg
    photo314118.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314119.jpg
    photo314119.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314120.jpg
    photo314120.jpg