Garmin 54cv fuel flow sensor compatability

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking to add a NMEA 2000 fuel flow sensor to a Garmin 54cv. Is there a better option than using Garmin's GFS 10 sensor? It will only read at minimum 2 gph I'm understanding. Are Lowrance NMEA 2000 sensor's compatible? Also, if this is the only NMEA 2000 sensor on the unit, will you need to use the entire starter kit? Sorry if its a stupid question, just seems the starter kits allow you to build a network of sensors. I just need fuel flow instrumentation for an older carbureted 2 stroke 150hp engine

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looking to add a NMEA 2000 fuel flow sensor to a Garmin 54cv. Is there a better option than using Garmin's GFS 10 sensor? It will only read at minimum 2 gph I'm understanding. Are Lowrance NMEA 2000 sensor's compatible? Also, if this is the only NMEA 2000 sensor on the unit, will you need to use the entire starter kit? Sorry if its a stupid question, just seems the starter kits allow you to build a network of sensors. I just need fuel flow instrumentation for an older carbureted 2 stroke 150hp engine
Yes, you need the starter kit. The Starter kit (backbone) is the basis of the entire NMEA 2000 system.

I've been running a GFS 10 for a number of years now. The unit reads less than 2 gph but is supposedly inaccurate at those levels. Don't know about that. The only time I don't have an "accurate" reading is at idle. Can't prove or deny the accuracy claim.

What I can tell you is that the unit is sensitive to see the carb floats open and close while idling. Constant up/down cycling while at idle. Anything other than dead idle gives accurate readings

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Dingbat, what Garmin unit are you running the GFS 10 fuel sensor with? I have it connected to my 54cv and while it's working, I'm looking for a more precise display and having no luck getting a different view other than a needle pointing to a general amount on a simulated gauge.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Dingbat, what Garmin unit are you running the GFS 10 fuel sensor with? I have it connected to my 54cv and while it's working, I'm looking for a more precise display and having no luck getting a different view other than a needle pointing to a general amount on a simulated gauge.

My GFS 10 is connected to an Echomap Chirp 94sv and a Gpsmap 942sx.

Fuel used, fuel remaining, distance til empty, mpg, etc.

Did you update your software once you integrated the GFS into the system?

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was not aware that an update was needed after installing the GFS 10. I tried calling Garmin the other day and gave up after holding for over an hour. I'll look into the update. Thanks for that idea

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I was not aware that an update was needed after installing the GFS 10. I tried calling Garmin the other day and gave up after holding for over an hour. I'll look into the update. Thanks for that idea
The GFS software is separate from the head unit.

You can lookup the latest software version for each component here

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4749

I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for Garmin Support. Always call first thing in the morning.