battery question

ab59

Ensign
I put a new 31 series battery in the boat a few months ago that I bought at Wally World and fully charged it now reads 11.27 volts. I used two different meters and both read the same. The engine starts fine , it seems to hold a charge and I have not really had any problems yet. Should I return this battery for another one ? Would the lower max charge be a returnable reason ?
Seems like it should not even start the engine at this voltage. I did disconnect the Positive cable for these tests .
is this a pre curser to a bigger problem if I don't replace it .
would like someone who knows opinion---

thanks A.B.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Something is wrong.....11.27 volts is technically a dead battery. Shouldn’t be able to start motor.

How big (amp) is your battery charger?
How long was the battery connected to the charger before taking your readings?

Test your car battery to check accuracy of the meters

Fed

Commander
Did you measure the battery post to post or post to lug?

ab59

Ensign
Thanks for your replies----
I will test the meters tomorrow on my truck battery but I'm pretty sure they are correct.
I kind of thought that the battery should not be able to start the engine as well but its doing what it's doing none the less. I kind of thought that since it was such a large battery that it was still able to function with the lower volt count.
I will also climb back into the boat and disconnect the ground cable as well and test again to see if that somehow makes a difference . I did just finish installing a new ESA for the Cobra outdrive.
Plenty of little head scratchers on this project.

ab59

Ensign
Nothing wrong with the two different meters . My Tundra's battery was 12.47 volts or better, don't remember exactly . Took the battery back to Wally World only to have them refuse to take the battery back until THEY charged it for what was supposed to be 90 minutes. 4 1/2 hours later they called me and told me that the battery was not taking a charge correctly and now they would replace the inferior battery product that they are selling. Did I add that this is the second battery from them that has gone bad in 1 1/2 years ?
Next time I'm not going to buy a battery from them , they may be a little cheaper but they are selling absolute junk that can not even make their warranty period . Cells go bad in less than a year.