Extending trolling motor power without cutting leads

benji88

Cadet
I have a Minn Kota trolling motor (Endura 50lb) and I would like to extend the power cable approximately 5 feet, without cutting the original connectors. I'd also like to put a quick disconnect near the original leads. I'm thinking trolling motor terminals, to something, short 8 ga wire to disconnect, then 8 ga wire from disconnect to battery.

I've seen people who wrap and tape wire around the terminals of the stock lead but I'd like something a little more sturdy. Can this be done by simply using a small nut and bolt to connect the stock motor power cables to the terminals that will be coming off the quick disconnect (and taping/ insulating the connection)?

Tldr: What's the best way to extend trolling motor power wore while leaving the original terminals in tact?

Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The only way you can ADD length to any wires without cutting the lead ends is to cut the wire and splice it somewhere in the run. If you use the same gauge splice with the proper inline crimp connection, all is well. But I would also make absolute sure the new splices are of good quality and I would even use some heat shrink over any splice for added protection. JMHO