Basic switch question

Asensibaugh87

Recruit
Hello al .

This may sound dumb but i need to make sure i dont mess anything up.

my boat has a momentary toggle switch to raise and lower the outboard on my dash (buttons on throttle broke before i bought and this is how they fixed it). I want to add an additional switch in the rear of the boat to where i can raise and lower without getting in.

I was wondering if i can run 3 wires to the current switch to the new switch in its posts and be able to use both switches as needed. In my head this would complete the connections on either switch as long as i match both switches.

My concern is if i use the rear switch that would run to dash switch it would also complete connection on dash switch causing overload or something.

If this is not right please advise.

see diagram attached.

Attachments

• photo313827.jpg
    photo313827.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 0

TunaFish389

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks good. No problems except if the rear gets triggered underway (someone bumps) you might not know. But both switches will be fine.

Alumarine

Captain
It might be possible to run the wires from the new switch to the tilt/trim motor.
What year, make and model of motor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No need to run wiring up to the dash switch. Simply wire the new switch to the connectors the front mount switch are wired to on the trim motor or relays by the trim motor.

As Marc asked - What are you working on? And what boat? you may be able to mount a switch made to mount in the splashwell. Something this; Marpac Transom Trim Switch

Asensibaugh87

Recruit
The boat im working on is an 81 pierce arrow. Im going to put it where it wont easily be bumped or get wet but i do have a waterproof switch just for good measure. I was thinking about it and may be able to connect it with t tap connectors just in where the wires hide behind the motor.

Bondo

Staff member
I was thinking about it and may be able to connect it with t tap connectors just in where the wires hide behind the motor.

Ayuh,..... Those things cause corrosion,.....

Run the wires to the connections at the trim pump,.....

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
This is what you want, look up this Mercrusier part. 87-815200A-1