High voltage affecting tach?

sammith

Cadet
Hi all, last year my tach wasn't working and I realised my voltage rectifier was done. Replaced it and now my tach works, but it seems to be reading too high (still need to confirm this). I realized though that my voltage regulator must also be bad since the voltage will start off good, but go up to ~18V after a few minutes of boating.

I have a new regulator on the way, but I was wondering if the high voltage could be causing the high RPM reading. For reference, the motor is an older Mercury V150 and the gauge is a Faria gauge. I already turned the selector at the back of the gauge like I read in other forums and it should be at the right setting.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be the tack is now fried. keep in mind, most tachs are a $1 air core motor with $0.25 digital to analog converter wrapped in $3 worth of decal, housing and glass (then sold to the boat manufacturer for $10 and to the general public for $100)

doesnt take much to damage the tach if the incoming signal was out of spec

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could also be that the high reading regular is allowing some A/C to flow through and that could cause the tach to read questionably. Before changing the tach, wait until you receive the new regular and see how that works.

sammith

Cadet
Would the tach still read "fluidly" if damaged? It doesn't jump or change readings all of a sudden or anything like that. It reads surprisingly well, just the readings seem high. At idle it'll read around 1000RPM, but by the time I hit 30MPH, it's redlining. I know there are many factors that could impact this (prop pitch, etc) which I've looked into last year when I suspected the tach was accurate, but now I'm starting to wonder if the engine is actually not over revving and that it's just the tach that's out to lunch.

Ultimately, I really need to get out there one day and measure the revs on the flywheel, but now that I know my voltage regulator is broken, I was curious to know if that could impact the readings of the tach.

sammith

Cadet
Just noticed I may have ordered the wrong regulator. The one I ordered is a 6 wire, but I see others with only 5 wires (1 red wire less) but they both cross reference to the same OEM part number (815279T). Looking at my wiring diagram, I think I would need the 5 wire regulator, but would the 6 wire one work also by either putting the 2 red wires together or not connecting one of them (the sense wire)?