Speaker Wire okay to use in boat?

kaivorth

Seaman
Looking to pick up some 12 gauge wire for all my electronics on my boat. Would speaker wire work as well as anything else? Seem to have a lot more options and is generally cheaper? Want to just buy one roll to use for everything for simplicity. Fish finder and bilge pumps the most energy demanding things.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Let us know if the fish finder starts singing Classic Rock songs.

Simplicity has no part to play when wiring a boat. When you sell the boat, the new owner will rightly be cursing the day he bought your boat.

At a minimum. use two colors. Red and black so you don't cross voltage and ground. Are fuses too expensive, too?

The answer to your question is "No".

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't use "speaker wire" for a few reasons. The insulation is not going to hold up to the elements or UV rays. And the actual wire isn't tinned like marine grade wire is.

I personally would buy TWO rolls of proper gauge Marine wire. One red and one black and use them to wire your boat the proper way. And at each connection, label the wire to where it goes. You will thank yourself down the road if you ever have to trace wires down to find a problem.

Yes, it does cost a little more, but there is a reason it cost more...it is better grade wire. And the mere small additional cost is really not that much. JMHO

Behemoth

Cadet
I used speaker wire in my small boat rehab as a temporary solution. I had copious amounts laying due to buying more than I needed from work. The cost was almost nothing to me so I figured why not. It's the same stuff we would use on outdoor speaker installs under a covered patio or lanai.

My wires are factory marked with a strip to differentiate neg and pos so I can identify them. The only issue I ran into is where I did not have a proper crimp on a but connector. Looks like a little water got in the butt connector and made about 1/8th inch brittle which was just enough to throw off my horn wiring under the console. All of the wiring is hidden and not exposed to the sun. The water intrusion appears to be from high humidity.

I do have full intentions of replacing all of that speaker wiring as it goes as I can afford to do so. So far over the last year though that was the only issue I ran into so far in an uncovered boat out in the Florida sun all day.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Speaker wire will hold up fine. It is the quality of the connections, not the wire itself, that usually is the problem.

With that said, don't do it! As GA mentioned, you are setting the next owner up for some serious issues, if not yourself down the road. Does this random wire represent speaker wire or power wire? And assuming the wrong one gets expensive, quickly.

I'm sure iboats store has it also, but you can get a 100ft spool of 12gauge red/block wire on amazon for $20. Use clear wire with a negative indicator for actual speakers. If you really want to be correct, there is a semi-official color code for marine wiring.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=80

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Marine wire is tinned throughout it's full length. This is what you should be using. Put it this way, if there's a fire on your boat, there's nowhere to run. And if a fire causes an explosion from gasoline fumes, you won't have time to jump overboard.
A guy I know was lucky. He and his wife we're able to jump off their exploding boat.

matt167

Captain
Trailer wiring would be a better option within the same relative principal. It gives you 7 colors of wire in a 25' roll pretty cheap. However it still isn't a good idea

marine wire isn't stupid expensive either

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just use the proper wire for your boat and you will thank me in the future.

scoflaw

Ensign
Anyone notice that Mercruiser didn't get the "marine Wire" memo when they make the trim sender and limit switches ?

No tin there, looks like lamp cord and holds up like lamp cord.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use Ox-guard on all crimp connections and plug connections. Ox-guard has metal in it so when using on plug connections don’t have over apply and wipe all excess. It’s available at all hardware and electric supply stores. It is mandatory to use on all home/commercial electrical connections where aluminum is connected to a different metal. Really resists saltwater corrosion.