Wiring on new to me Sea Nymph

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 1990 Sea Nymph SS195 with a 1975 merc 850 outboard. The motor control has a connector on the front, which I've learned is the tach connector. There was no connector plugged into it, but there was wires (2, black and red) stuck into the connectors, and ran to the buss bars under the dash. There is also a key switch on the dash of the boat with many wires terminated, and going to instruments, switchs, radios. I'm not sure if the key on the dash or the key on the controller turns things on under the dash, or what the key switch on the dash is for. Sea Nymph website sends me to Lowe boats, and lowe has no wiring diagrams for the 1990 model that I have. Anyone know what all the switches are for? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Sounds like owner installed wirin',.....

All you can do is grab a test light, 'n sort it out yerself,.....

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think it was owner installed. Most everything under the dash looks factory, it's just old, wires are cracked, switches broken. I was just wondering why there's a switch on the dash and one on the merc Control

Bondo

Staff member
I was just wondering why there's a switch on the dash and one on the merc Control

Ayuh,...... Which is why, I said what I said,.....

There shouldn't be 2 key switches,......

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
can all the wires on the key switch be removed. and keep the ones that are needed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Older outboards often had the ign key installed on the dash. Maybe it is leftover?

On a boat like that, all the gauges can be powered by the MerControl molded plug. The vertical connector on the MerControl is the tach sender.

Bilge pumps, lights and other accessories will need to be wired to the battery via suitable fuse block. I like using a master on/off switch so I know everything is off.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The mercontrol has no molded plug,it was missing when I got the boat. Previous owner had jurry rigged a red and black wire from the mercontrol to power the buss bars under the dash. Everything under the dash has an inline fuse in the wire running from the positive buss bar.