batteries in parallel?

mfkirkland

Cadet
Boat has 3 batteries, 1 for starting and acting as house. 2 for trolling motor.
I had to replace the plug and receptacle to the TM. The plug and receptacle are jumping the 2 batteries for 24 volt to the TM.
My question, is there any reason for also wiring the 2 batteries parallel?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure I understand the question. If the 2 batteries are wired in series for 24 volts then you can't also wire them in parallel.That would create a dead short.
You can't wire a 12v battery in parallel with a 24v battery set. The 24v set would try to dump power into the 12v battery to bring it up to it's voltage level which would overcharge it for sure.

mfkirkland

Cadet
I think you answered my question. I got you on the 12 v and 24v in parallel. You cant do that, but I'm not clear on "dead short".

Leaving the start / house battery out of the question.

Someone prior to me had jumpers on the 2 batteries for the TM. I didn't look before I took em apart.
There were 2 jumpers and I cant figure out why. They must have been parallel because in my mind you only need 1 for jumping to 24v (series).. Yeah?

Should I have a circuit breaker on both batteries? There was only 1.

alldodge

Staff member
With 2 jumpers everything could be 12V
Look at your TM an see if its a 12 or 24V model

mfkirkland

Cadet
The are no markings/model numbers on TM. All I know is it is a Maxxum by Minn Kota. No idea how old it could be.

I used plug and receptacles by RigRite #s 420 and 425. Wired for 24v in the plug / receptacle. The RigRite connection is very tight. I did a little trimming to make it easier to insert to plug.
I put new 50a circuit breakers on both batteries.
There are now no jumpers at the batteries.

I have moved the "house: wiring to one of the TM (deep cycle) batteries.

So now I have...
1 "marine" start / run battery isolated on its own circuit.
2 identical deep cycle batteries with TM and "house" attached. The TM is wired 24v at the plug / receptacle. House is still 12v.
All 3 are also connected to Minn Kota 315 On Board battery charger.

All seems to be working fine.

alldodge

Staff member
Look up "minn kota maxxum models" and it will show you 3 types
55 is 12V
70 and 80 are 24V

There are also manuals easy to find

mfkirkland

Cadet
Thanks AllDodge, Minn Kota will even show you exactly where to find the model / serial numbers. There are no markings on my motor.
It is wired 24v and nothing has burst into flames. No smoke or funny smells. Circuit breakers are not tripping. So I am assuming I have the 70 or the 80 lb thrust.
The manuals for all of the Maxuum 24v motors are the same. word for word.