Motor went up and now trim motor activates but won't go down. Manual release shot

starsteve31005

Recruit
1998 115 Tohatsu. Trimmed motor up and added some fluid and then wouldn't trim down (Last summer). This weekend I start working on it; first replaced battery. Trim motor runs but no movement. Air in line I think and cannot move motor at all to get air out, stuck. I have blow torched the manual release screw and have an ease out in but when turning with a pipe over the wrench it gets to a point where if will either break the ease out or destroy the screw. It's a saltwater motor and is probably ceased pretty good. Also, the manual screw was trashed, no groove, when this problem started. Closest mechanic wants 250 and hour and parts. If the pump runs I feel like the system is good just has air in it, so what's the work around to get the air out? Take the seals off and let it just flow all out and reseal and start over?

alldodge

Staff member
Hope an OB guy comes along, but trim units all have similar issues when this happens. Air should bleed right out with use. If the motor is reversing (it probably is) and it will not trim in other direction, its usually the trim cylinder has seized.

starsteve31005

Recruit
USING BASKETBALL PUMP COMPRESSED RESEVOIR AND UNIT WENT DOWN. I HAD THE NUT OFF RESEVOIR SO IT LEAKED FOAMY OIL A PRETTY GOOD AMOUNT. (Whoops all caps sry) OK, so I pushed it back up and planned to add more oil and now it's stuck there again. I'm a genius for leaving the filler cap off. Tried several times pumping air back in to clear but nothing happens, so I'm giving it a break and drinkinig a beer now. I think if I had cap on unit and I moved up and down some before going all the way up I would have cleared (purged) all the air, so now I'm stuck and the manual release doesn not work, so I am stuck with a PBR in my hand.

starsteve31005

Recruit
Using a lil air compressor I have removed the airlock and changed from 30weight to transmission fluid. I'm colorblind so I have no clue about what was in there originally and I just know the ATF was a little thinner and gave better results. I'll remember this Memorial day well. I'll spend a day bathed in oil as a holiday. Respect to those that served. It goes up and down now but the center ram is leaking and the top of the mast is pretty rusty; been a dang good motor. Think I'll buy a new one 140HP. The Moto Guzzi of boat engines so I hear. No worries about no replies; sometimes you just have to keep giving it hell and that was today; you guys were out looking at bikinis and changing grandbaby diapers. Hope to make it that far. Thanks for being here.

alldodge

Staff member
Wish I had a clue but I have never worked on a Tohatsu