minn kota maxxum basket-case

dave.1

Recruit
Howdy. I have a 15' Potter sailboat with a Motorguide 55# as my aux propulsion. probably 1200# gross weight with two peeps. It was a lake boat; out on the bay, 55# is inadequate if there's any wind. I have a motor and shaft from a MinnKota Maxxum 80# bowmount. All I have is the motor, shaft and head (in pieces) There are three leads coming from the shaft... obviously one is positive and one is negative, the other must be for controlling forward, reverse and voltage level for variable rpm. So here's the question guys: help me cheap-out... I have 12 volts on the boat and a 12 volt motor and shaft. Assuming I can sort out a mount, What else do I need to make this motor push the boat? Some type of rheostat to make voltage variable and some type of switch to reverse polarity but I can't visualize the end-game. My desired result is nothing fancy; just need a motor to push straight ahead, shift to reverse, and give me some variable rpm (speed control).

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
An 80# motor requires 24 volts -- not 12 volts. You need the wiring diagram for the motor to determine what you need to control it. If it's a PWM style motor that's one set of conditions. If it's a speed coil motor that's another.