Trolling motor works out of water, works intermittently in water

mikec35

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Twin Troller boat that has a Minn Kota 36lb thrust motor in each hull. The motors work great out of water but one of them works intermittently in water. Any advice as to what to check? I've sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner and made sure they are securely plugged in. Can these motors be rebuilt? Looking on the net I see a new motor is available from FreedomElectric Marine for $250. Thanks

Rcn

Recruit
I'm trying to find out how to set the timing on a 1996force 120 hp

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry about the hijack, Mike. For 250 bucks you can buy a 36 # Minn Kota for half the money, take the motor off the post and replace the original.

I'm trying to find out how to set the timing on a 1996force 120 hp

I trying to figure out why you posted in the thread. Start a thread of your own in the Force section.

mikec35

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry about the hijack, Mike. For 250 bucks you can buy a 36 # Minn Kota for half the money, take the motor off the post and replace the original.

Thanks for the advice, I can't seem to find any 36 lb Minn Kota trolling motors. What I need to replace looks like this.

GA_Boater

I cab't find a 36# thrust motor either.

How about this - You can swap the controllers from side to side as the service video shows. If the good motor starts to act up, you know it isn't the motor

mikec35

Seaman Apprentice
I cab't find a 36# thrust motor either.

How about this - You can swap the controllers from side to side as the service video shows. If the good motor starts to act up, you know it isn't the motor

I saw the video. I ran both trolling motors for 3 minutes straight today out of the water, they worked fine. I'm going to take the boat to the lake Monday and see what happens. Thank you

GA_Boater

Hoping it works, Mike.

How old is the TT? I looked a the site and most the parts seem to by year or a range of years.

mikec35

Seaman Apprentice
Hoping it works, Mike.

How old is the TT? I looked a the site and most the parts seem to by year or a range of years.

It's a 2012. I put it in the water and the motor dies under a load, then it will work sporadically. I called Freedom Electric and he thinks it's the circuit breaker resetting itself (it's a manual reset.) I am traveling so I picked up a new circuit breaker and have high hopes for when I return home later this week...

mikec35

Seaman Apprentice
Just to close this out, there was a bad circuit breaker. I bought one for $12 and it fixed my problem.