Trouble Shoot Tech

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a tech that's not working...I have power to the tech, but from what i u understand, I'm only supposed to have 2v from the sender wire...I have 12v...which is too high I believe...is the sender suppose to high voltage that high...

alldodge

Staff member
Didn't know they put tach's on lawn mowers ;)

What motor you working on?

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
LoL, I have a 2001 Mercury 90hp....I call myself buying a tech from ebay...the only thing works on the tech is the light...so I guess I'm getting a good ground...I have power to the tech, I have 12v's...in a video i was watching, the sender which I'm assuming is my gray wire should have 2v's but its showing 12vs on my meter...so right now I don't know what is going on...any ideas would be helpful...

alldodge

Staff member
Being an OB maybe jimmbo racerone or other can help

Like all tach's they get a pulse (on/off) from the distributor, mag, computer (gray wire).

Otherwise they all have a 12V for power and a ground, but can also have a feed for light

Could be the gray wire may not be connected to the motor correctly

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does your tach - tach - tach :smile: have a rotary switch on the back for setting the number of poles? Flip it through all settings a couple of times. Sometimes the inside contacts get dirty/corroded and flipping it wipes the contacts.

Is the battery charging? Not sure on your Merc, but the tach signal comes from the rectifier/regulator on some. A bad rec/reg can disable the tach.