second power supply line for 9.9 electric start Mercury

Dave neo

Cadet
Can I add another 12V power supply line to the solenoid (leaving the old supply line in place) so that when I start turn the key the starter will get a reliable 12 V source? My reason for doing this is that I am pretty certain the supply wire is not allowing good current because of age/corrosion. It is in an impossible location as far as tracing it down and trying to just replace it, so I am thinking of leaving it in place and running a second supply to the solenoid switch that will provide strong reliable flow for starting. I have eliminated other issues so thanks but no thanks for any tips along those lines.. I would appreciate any opinions on feasibility of what I am considering. thanks

Dave neo

Cadet
9.9 electric start - power supply question

Can I add another 12V power supply line from battery to the solenoid (leaving the old supply line in place) so that when I start turn the key the starter will get a reliable 12 V source? My reason for doing this is that I am pretty certain the supply wire is not allowing good current because of age/corrosion. It is in an impossible location as far as tracing it down and trying to just replace it, so I am thinking of leaving it in place and running a second supply to the solenoid switch that will provide strong reliable flow for starting. I have eliminated other issues so thanks but no thanks for any tips along those lines.. I would appreciate any opinions on feasibility of what I am considering. thanks
(2002 4 stroke motor)

sam am I

Commander
Yes, they'll just be in parallel and share current flow, albeit not exactly half due to ones resistance might be more due to corrosion, gauge etc but, both wires will just share the current load effectively halving the series resistance.

Recall 1/Rt = (1/R1 + 1/R2) or Rt = 1/((1/R1) + (1/R2)) where Rt is the resultant resistance after R1 (wire 1) is placed in parallel with R2 (wire 2).

Try to clean up as best ya can the old stud/nut and spade lugs assemblies before topping them off with the new spades, couldn't hurt eh?

Last edited:

Dave neo

Cadet
thanks very much - I was figuring the corroded one would have more resistance so current would 'choose' the new wire. Don't know if that makes real electrical sense but seems logical..

sam am I

Commander
You're very welcome and it sure does, is quite logical......Current takes the path with the least resistance.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
the supply line for what? The battery cable is the main one on the solenoid. The smaller ones on the same terminal go to as follows. 1 goes to the rectifier below the cdi box the other goes to the ignition and comes back.to the small.terminal in the solenoid.