Help wiring my 89 Bass Tracker 40hp

kaivorth

Seaman
Some questions..

Where would I plug in my Trolling motor from a diagram like this? Just into the Fuse Block like everything else?
How does my ignition play into this? Engine just wires to the ignition, which wires into the Dual Circuit Switch?
​​​​​​Do I need to plug in my distribution bus into anything on that 4th post? Or is everything just grounded to the engine...?
Looking like I need 4GA wire? What's a good brand wire for a marine application? I feel like the 4GA terminals are going to be big to plug into the Dual Circuit Switch.

Using 2 Deep Cycle Batteries if that matters.

st_blade_1_0d26dfcf200f3acc4f191ca47425063c4be2eea7.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Your pic is typical wiring for house loads such as depth finder, lights, radio, other

The trolling motor is wired separately because it draws so much current. Your motor does not have enough output to charge your start and troll bats, so you will need a plug in charger. Below is wiring for a 24V model with charger

Diagram.jpg

You may only have a 12V trolling so only one bat will be used. Note the fuses feeding the trolling motor. The charger in the pic is a 2 bank 12V charger and if you have only a single bat for troll and one for starting it can also be used for it. You can also just have a single charger for the troll bat and not have one attached to the start bat

Just depends on what you want

kaivorth

Seaman
Appreciate the response!

It's a 12V trolling motor. I wanted the charger hooked up to both batteries though in parallel I believe to keep them both topped off?

Would I need the charger hooked up to the power switch to achieve this?

Sounds like the trolling motor will connect to the power switch, on the same terminal as the fuse box.

So I'll need to pull up 3 wires from the rear of the boat. A ground and 2 positives.

I'll have to just get a switch that you can select each battery, and then also select both batteries?

Both battery selection will be used to charge both batteries, or start the engine if one battery doesn't start it because it's low?

alldodge

Staff member
My laptop tanked so I don't have all my files now, working on new and then restore files

OK you have a 12V troll and want to use 2 bats in parallel to run it. You can get a 2 bank charger but don't need 2 long pos cables, just need 1 pos and 1 neg, then short jumpers to jump between bats.

I image below, there is no switch or fuse. You should have a fuse/breaker and having a switch is nice but can also just have a plug so you can disconnect from troll.

Having bats wired in parallel also means you only need one charger.

p1233675765-2.jpg

Now if your talking about using your start bat and another single troll bat and paralleling those, Dont Do It

kaivorth

Seaman
They're both deep cycle. I decided I'm going to use a 4 position switch. Nice having a switch to select either battery, combine them as a larger battery, or shut off all together.

Is it okay to use the batteries in parallel for everything though? Starting the boat, trolling motor, and accessories? Or is it best to use each one separately and then charge them in parallel?
​​

alldodge

Staff member
Being you have a 40hp motor, I'm thinking this isn't a pull start motor. If this is the case, then if you use the bats in parallel and run them both down, you cannot start the motor

kaivorth

Seaman
Good call, I'll use them separately so I'll always have enough to start the motor.

Any idea what size and type fuse I should be using for the outboard? I'll fuse each battery in case I accidentally use the wrong one. Be nice if they were resettable?

Then I guess I'll have to also fuse the trolling motor?

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like I'm overthinking it and just need to fuse my Trolling motor?

Correct, no fuse for the motor. The trolling motor fuse should be determined by what the manufacture recommends

kaivorth

Seaman
I don't know the exact model number of the motor. Long story.

Could you recommend a good cheap amp clamp?

alldodge

Staff member
Just use the highest current draw one and gauge for it, which largest 12V draws 60 amps. With 12 feet that would have you using 4 AWG.

Most likely you only need 6 AWG, but look at it this way. If you later get a bigger motor, no need to change the wires

kaivorth

Seaman
Good to hear the 4 AWG should suffice. Where did you get the highest current draw 60amps from though? I had a feeling I'd be peaking at 100+ amps when cranking?

kaivorth

Seaman
I did. I'm talking about my starter motor wire for my outboard and I see a minn Kota link for trolling motors? Think we got wires crossed lmao

kaivorth

Seaman
Fair enough I think I'll just run it with the 4GA I got. If I ever get an amp meter I'll report back my actual amperage draw.