GPS or chart plotter for inland lakes

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been boating for years on familiar lakes and I just "know where I am". I'm going this summer to an unfamiliar lake in another state. I would like something to help navigate, like a GPS in a car. I think on a boat that's called a chart plotter?
Any recommendations for something basic and inexpensive. This is going on a 23' bow rider mostly used for cruising and water sports on nice summer days. I don't need anything for off shore, fishing, etc.
Thanks,

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Pretty much depends on size of screen you want, how much room you have, and how much you want to spend.

The lowrance Hook units, and the Hummingbird Helix units work well and are relatively cheap.
A generation 1, 2 or 3 will work just as well and earlier model can be found on discount.

All will come with fish finder/sonar features, which you don't necessarily need to install or use, as long as you have a map chip of the lake you are on.

So if not using for fishing, don't pay hundreds extra for features like SI, DI, CHIRP.

A Lowrance Hook2 5" can be had for as little as $240.
A 7" model for $275.

Or you can spend several thousands.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks,
I'm definitely looking to keep the price pretty low. Most of the time I'm on very familiar lakes. I don't know how often I'll be on new ones. I will look into the ones you listed.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
One of the things I like about my Hummingbird Helix is the ability to highlight different depths
in a different color,......Anything on the map chip 4 feet or less is highlighted red on my screen,...
Helps keeps me away from trouble in strange waters,..

I don't know if the Lowrance will do that?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Right now, probably the best deal going is a Garmin Echomap plus 63 CV.

Comes preloaded with LakeVü HD maps cover 17,000+ total lakes; 13,000 with 1" contours

No need to buy separate, third party map chips like you do with the others

Last edited: