Help with TM installation

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for some ideas on installing a bow mount TM. The platform on my boat isn't level and I have been searching online for ideas but haven't seen anything yet.

See pic of my current set up

Attachments

• photo312562.jpg
    photo312562.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Backup and take a pic showing more of the boat.

You may need to build up the area and a pic showing more may give us ideas for you.

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
Will take a better pic when I get home.

I figured I need to build it up, but haven't had any luck finding DIYs.

GA_Boater

In the 1st pic I see worn carpet and a small sagging deck. Can't see the carpet in the 2nd pic cuz it's a little dark, but still see the sag.

You have 2 ways to go here, one is easy and the other is more involved.

Easy way is mount a clamp on stern mount TM on the bow. It looks like there is enough above the deck to clamp onto the gunnel. If the tiller is too far away to steer, a ball connected extension using a length of PVC will take care of that.

The involved way is replace the deck so there is a level playing field. Using scraps from the deck, build up a standoff for a bow mount TM or raise the new deck. Raising the deck makes a nice place for batteries, too.

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
Easy way is mount a clamp on stern mount TM on the bow. It looks like there is enough above the deck to clamp onto the gunnel. If the tiller is too far away to steer, a ball connected extension using a length of PVC will take care of that.

Didn't know i could use a stern mount TM on the bow. I'm guessing I will be able to rotate the tiller/shaft to adjust for the different orientation.

GA_Boater

The only real difference is the mounting used. Clamp vs bow mount.

I wouldn't swivel the head on a new TM, but an older or used one out of warranty, go for it.