Fuel gage issue

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
2001 Stingray 200MS

Gage shows empty when I know its at least half full. Gage does move slightly up when key is turned to ON, so its not completely dead.

Where should I start? Or can someone point me to an old thread that gets into it, I had no luck with a search.

Also, I have other electrical issues lately that I have not found the source of yet...…. fish finder says low voltage. I just installed new batteries and cleaned the terminals and connections very well where the batteries connect.

alldodge

Staff member
Might be a bad ground. If grounding is bad, it will effect all gauges

If its not the ground and the gauge is working correctly, then its the tank sender. You can pull the sender, connect the wires and manually move the sender to see if you get full range

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
To start I would confirm you have a good 12 volts to the fuse panel first. Some fish finders have an option where you can set a low voltage alarm. A friend had a hummingbird FF that kept having a low voltage alarm. He finally gave in and asked me to check it out. After confirming the FF had a solid 12 plus volts I went thru the set up options and saw the low voltage alarm was set to too high of a voltage, I think 13 volts but don't remember the number, I changed the alarm to something around 11 volts and no alarm since. Once you confirm you have a good 12 volts and ground to the fuse panel you can go to step 2 and work on the fuel gauge issue. Bottom line I would fix the electrical issues first since the gauge issue may be part of that problem. Keep us posted.