Moving batteries from stern to bow?

CheezyPete

Cadet
I want to move the batteries on my 2001 1600 Crestliner Angler Tiller from the stern to the bow . I am doing this so I can locate with two other trolling motor batteries and a battery charger in a compartment in the bow, and so I can put a fuel tank where the batteries currently are next to the transom.

Is this simple to do? do I just extend the battery leads coming from the outboard so they can reach the batteries at the stern? The engine is a 2004ish mercury bigfoot 25hp. The other electrics, including the battery switch and fuseboard I plan on moving to the stern as well.

any advice much appreciated, .thank you!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It is doable. Just remember, when you lengthen any wires, those wires have to be larger to carry the voltage and current the longer distance. Wire resistance adds up. So heavier gauge wire is usually needed. Depends on what your current (amperage) demands will be.

Konfused

Recruit
I'm also thinking about doing this in my fish and ski. I have been thinking about installing the trolling motor batteries under the windshields to reduce excess weight in the rear. My boat planes better since I installed a whale tail, but still could be better out the hole.

fishrdan

Admiral
Google "blue seas dc wire calculator" to help figure out what size of wire you need for the extension back to the outboard.

I have no idea how many amps that starter draws, but you'll need find out the current draw to use the calculator. I'd use 3% voltage drop in the calculator. You also need to use the round trip wire length, bow->stern->bow, 14+14=28' total length.

For the wire, go to genuinedealz, they sell real "marine wire" at Home dePot generic wire prices, quick shipping too.