icom icm34 pro or con (used)

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is a good price for a used icm34 ? What is programming a m34 do and is it necessary? Pro and cons please. Newbie looking for 1st time vhf handheld .

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
went and picked up the ic m34 i saw on cl. Looks in very good shape, nice clear screen, hardly looks used. Not too bad of deal for $50
Can I update to latest drivers & or firmware if possible ? If so what is needed & how?
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Can I update to latest drivers & or firmware if possible ? If so what is needed & how?

Not really, its not a computer
Need to find out if it works, and only way I know of doing it is to call to another marine VHF

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is all the programing software & cables listed online for if not upgrades. I see alot of offers for programing software along with all types of cables . I'm new at this so what purpose does it serve ?

alldodge

Staff member
Have no idea what the seller is ebay selling, but the Marine VHF frequency;s have been set for longer then I've been alive and I'm old. I look at it as snake oil and the folks buying it, have no idea what they bought, so they also don't know what didn't change.

A sucker is born every minute, and thise not smart enough to know better, loose money

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the ICOM 34 is a self contained radio that has two options. a speaker/microphone or an alkaline battery pack.

what is being sold on Ebay is the equivalent of a software upgrade for a skateboard or a toilet plunger..... doesnt exist, however like AD said, someone will buy it.