Bought a new console for a pontoon boat, need help with wiring explanation

armyblkhawk

Cadet
I am restoring a 2004 Pontoon boat. It is 24 ft long and has a 2004 60hp Mercury (60 ELPT EFI), s/n OT826153. I bought new seats, bases, carpet and console. The console came with Gauges that were wired together, a switch panel that was wired, and a fuse panel that was wired. The switch panel also came with a new ignition switch which was wired with 6 wires (White, Purple, Yellow/Red, Black/Yellow, Brown, and a 14 AWG Red). I bought a new wire harness from Pontoonstuff.com (SKU-PW-002) and laid it out along the boat. The connector to the new harness doesn't match the console wiring going to the harness. I am trying to figure out what the wires coming out of the ignition switch do so I can connect them to and rewire the new wire harness. Hope this makes sense. Both of the console and wire harness came with zero instructions and I am a novice in electrical knowledge. I was in the Army as a pilot and took on this project reluctantly. Maybe the wire harness I bought from pontoonstuff.com is not applicable to the project I am doing, thought this would be simple when I purchased everything. Help would be appreciated.

Attachment MEP0771-2 has the explanation of wires coming from the ignition, but I am having difficulty on where those wires are supposed to go when eventually connecting to the engine wiring harness.

I also bought a new throttle (Mercury boat throttle Control 8M0060783 Avalon Sterndrive Top Mount) that I have yet to receive. The console did not come with a trim gauge, so I bought one from amazon.com (Faria 13807 Chesapeake SS) and am confused if the trim guage runs through the engine control cable via throttle or through the engine cable itself.

I recently bought the Mercury manual for my type engine and don't see anywhere where it gives a solid explanation. I can take pictures of the items in more detail if requested. I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• MEP0771-2.pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 8
  • MEP0771-3.pdf
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
  • MEP0771-5.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 5

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Hopefully the experts here will chime in soon.
I'm wondering...I would think if you bought the console and the harness from the same place everything would match up. Try calling them, maybe they sent the wrong harness.

armyblkhawk

Cadet
Question 1......Forgot to add that the Console / Gauge / Switch Panel / Fuse Panel was from one manufacturer with the attached wiring diagrams on the previous post from me. The actual boat wiring harness that is 24 ft long, that doesn't match up to my console wiring is from a different manufacturer (pontoonstuff.com). Attached here are the photos of the actual ignition switch. Wanting to know what wire (color) does what. There is no labeling on the back end. It does have a push choke function. The yellow wire (attachment) comes off the ignition, and is open ended down the cable.

Attachments

• Ignition Switch.jpg
    Ignition Switch.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Ignition Switch close view.jpg
    Ignition Switch close view.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Ignition connection.jpg
    Ignition connection.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Ignition switch wiring.jpg
    Ignition switch wiring.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Ignition Switch with alarm.jpg
    Ignition Switch with alarm.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Yellow wire from ignition.jpg
    Yellow wire from ignition.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

armyblkhawk

Cadet
Question 2....I am assuming, but not sure yet that this connector goes to the new throttle (its still being shipped). If Im incorrect, please let me know where it goes.

Attachments

• Blue-red-green harness.jpg
    Blue-red-green harness.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Red-Blue-Green harness.jpg
    Red-Blue-Green harness.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1

armyblkhawk

Cadet
Last question......The end of the console wiring harness (that is supposed to connect to the boat harness) has the following:

Wires coming out from the console:

Grey - Tach Signal
White - Coming from Ignition Switch
Red - Coming from Ignition Switch
Black - Ground
Brown - Over Temperature Alarm
Purple - Coming from Ignition Switch
Black/Green Stripe - Coming from Ignition Switch
Blue - Coming from small Blue / Green / Red small harness
Green/White - Coming from small Blue / Green / Red small harness

This is supposed to connect to the 24 ft Harness:

12AWG Black – Connects directly to the negative bus on your fuse panel. In the
case where a bus doesn’t exist, connect with the existing grounds using
whatever wire terminal is necessary.

Brown/Orange – Connects to your livewell pump switch (I don't have a livewell pump, so I guess it could run something else?)

12AWG Red – Connects directly to the positive bus on your fuse panel (bus that
feeds existing fuses) or to the jumpered side of any panel mounted circuit
breakers. It is acceptable to lengthen the wire (with the same size) and to
change to connector to meet your needs.

Gray/black – Connects to your docking light switch

Gray/blue – Connects to the navigation light switch position that turns on the
white/stern light. This light is to illuminate when the switch is in either the
navigation light position or the anchor light position.

Gray/green – Connects to the navigation light switch position that turns on the
red-green/navigation lights. This light is to illuminate when the switch is only in
the navigation light position.

Orange/white – Connects to the horn button.

I realize that I don't have all the wires needed on the 24 ft harness that would go to the console. Attachments on this post give the wiring diagram for the 24 ft harness. Attached on the earlier post are the wiring diagrams I received for the console (MEP0771-2, MEP0771-3, MEP0771-5). I think once I figure out the ignition switch breakdown then Ill be able to figure out the rest, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• wiring coming out of console.jpg
    wiring coming out of console.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 24ft harness.jpg
    24ft harness.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Pontoon_Boat_Wiring_Harness_Installation_Instructions.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 5

sam am I

Commander
Piece of cake.........Study this a bit, it has your (Ig/motor harness) answers.

Start with those basics first, we'll figure the few stragglers that are left out when you get a handle on this. The pdf attachment has better resolution, suggest downloading that to see listed wire colors better

Click image for larger version  Name:	Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 40-50-60 hp_1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	268.9 KB ID:	10715251

Attachments

• 40-50-60 hp_1.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

armyblkhawk

Cadet
Thank you Sam I Am, I wont have time till this weekend to figure it out and compare what I have to your diagram, I'll let you know what questions I come up with. Thank you again!