Need to upgrade Bilge pump

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Last year I got swamped by two boats much larger than mine...the entire engine compartment was full of water. I was using my current pump, but it just wasn't pumping fast enough and took a loooong time to pump her out. I want to upgrade the current one (i think made more for lake use) and put in a high volume pump. This is a 18' 2004 Maxum 1800 SR3. Will most pumps fit, or are the boat model specific? Anyone have a good recommendation on a good pump to pump things out quick if need be?
Thanks!!
Dave

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What size pump do you have now?

You can add either a higher capacity pump or a second pump.

The question is how did this happen? The next time the boat may go down no matter what size or how many pumps you have. Avoiding the situation is better than trying to correct it.

tpenfield

Staff member
I'd go with a second pump. Just trying to picture how you got swamped though , , ,

alldodge

Staff member
I know what you mean, my Rinker's pump has a small volume, and even I should replace it.

Look and what size hose is on the pump now, many are 3/4 inch. The original 500 or so GPH pumps use a 3/4 ID hose. So if you go to a 1000 or 1500 GPH the hose size also goes to around 1 1/8. You can use a reducer to go back down, but then your not pumping the volume.

Would also need to make the discharge hole larger

gm280

Supreme Mariner
AllDodge has a great points. And to add to that subject, if you go to a lot larger bilge pump, you may need to also upgrade the wires. A larger pump will need more current to operate properly. So check everything out before changing anything. Could be a lot more work then initially thought.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hmmm, never thought of those issues. Thanks Alldodge. The ones I have been looking at look like they are the same size as my current pump, but they claim to be high flow. I will definately need to look into this further I guess. Here is how I got swamped...was coming across the bay and 1st big boat (prob 30+ footer) came up from behind me at a diagonal.....2nd boat came up from behind other side, opposite diagonal. I went up the first wake, and when I came down the second one came right over the bow. Instantly swamped the boat. The front of the bow was completely under water. Moved everyone to the rear of the boat so the water would go to stern and I could pump it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is how I got swamped...was coming across the bay and 1st big boat (prob 30+ footer) came up from behind me at a diagonal.....2nd boat came up from behind other side, opposite diagonal. I went up the first wake, and when I came down the second one came right over the bow. Instantly swamped the boat. The front of the bow was completely under water. Moved everyone to the rear of the boat so the water would go to stern and I could pump it out.

Maybe you need to get a bigger boat :eek:

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you had a couple of jerks wanting to swap you. Have seen jerks like that do it to small boats before, glad everyone is ok

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, def need a bigger boat lol....unfortunately need a bigger wallet for that as well.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Which displaces more water?

a scared man with a bucket OR blocked bilge pump/s

sorry, it's an oldie but still a goodie

l have 3 auto bilge pumps and a manual one as well on my boat,
plus new and old spares under the seats,
and a range of siphon hoses

still carry buckets though...just in case

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Which displaces more water?

a scared man with a bucket OR blocked bilge pump/s

sorry, it's an oldie but still a goodie

l have 3 auto bilge pumps and a manual one as well on my boat,
plus new and old spares under the seats,
and a range of siphon hoses

still carry buckets though...just in case

And where do you all sit???????

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
On the seats,
where else would 11 people sit?
Crikey...

and people say l'm slow lol

all this extra " just in case " stuff fits either under the floor or in storage lockers

But, argh...the boat is maybe just a little bigger

that's not the point though

it's not the size of your equipment but how many you have that matters....

cheers

Last edited: