Cobra H125 Handheld VHF Issues - Shall I Chuck it?

Onegazza

Seaman
Hi All,

I have a Cobra H125 as a spare VHF (which isn't one I bought) and gave it a comms check today. I'm UK based.

For some reason, it's not transmitting or receiving on certain channels and I cannot understand why.

I tested against my HX300E (my main radio) and a local marina.

Testing channel 12, it receives fine. I will not test transmit, as Southampton VTS is an extremely busy port channel.

Channel 80 - it's not transmitting or receiving. Tested channel 80 with my HX300E and it didn't receive my transmission either. Comms checked my HX300E with the marina and response confirmed immediately.

Channel 79 - the Cobra says channel 79 but, with the HX300E set on channel 79, it picks up no transmission. The transmission is instead received on channel 1079 on the HX300E.

So, what's up with the Cobra H125? Why is it only transmitting and receiving on certain channels? It's set on International.

Any ideas? Is it ready to chuck?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Don't chuck it yet,
l know there are some channels here ( Tasmania ) that don't have any traffic,

Try calling on ch 16 and then go to a working channel they suggest,

they wont throw you into the brig for doing that, it is normal procedure,

Onegazza

Seaman
My main concern is that the radio seems to be operating on a slightly different frequency. Some channels are correct, some are not.

I can put the Cobra and the HX300E on the same channel and, they should be able to communicate with each other and, they are not. Given that my HX300E is a 'proper' radio and is what I use without fail every weekend, I 100% trust it over the Cobra.

I can also hear as far as Christchurch, around 20 miles away. The Cobra is out of range of the marina within a few miles.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
After looking at the manual for my uniden MHS 050 handhelds l can't even see a 1079 freq so l'm at a loss there,
I think you're doing alright with the distances though,
considering line of sight,
l wouldn't get even a few miles with the short stubby aerials in a clifftop house,

ok for what l bought it for though,
tender to a flybridge cruiser,

set up in the shed other times

Onegazza

Seaman
Right. Figured it out. Although the Cobra blurb doesn't say it, it is a simplex radio and only operates on the simplex channels. Advanced marine radios operate on both simplex and duplex channels (you can both talk at the same time). There's a useful list online which tells you which UK channel numbers are duplex and which are simplex. So, the radio is not faulty. It's just entry-level. Ideal for channels 12 and 16 or choosing a channel to chat to friends. Not ideal for the full range.