Should I add an amp?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am about to replace my radio in my boat. I am looking thinking about going with a Sony from Academy (https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/so...with-two-6-1-2-speakers#repChildCatid=4154149) and it comes with 2 speakers. My boat currently has 4 speakers, which I replaced towards the end of the summer. They are about 300w max if I remember right. I was thinking about adding the 2 speakers included with the radio to the boat somewhere, for a total of 6.

Would it be beneficial to me to add the 2 speakers and then add an amp? I like how the 4 currently sound, but would like it to be a little louder to be able to listen while cruising.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know what size boat, but think 4 is plenty. There is a lot of noise on the boat, and to increase volume without going max on the radio, a amp is a good way. Unless your planning on a real power house to annoy all the other boaters, try not going over the top

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seems "louder" is subjective. If you presently had a decibel meter, and took a reading, it takes twice the power (output wattage) to increase that decibel reading 3 db. In other words, you have to double the power to be able to hear any increase of sound. Some smart phones has such an app. You can use such an app to see what you presently have and then figure out what you will have to install to increase that sound level. And if you want to hear it louder then 3 db, think twice the power again on top of that. Just some math info for you.

And with any increase of power the radio/amp setup needs more current... JMHO

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. The boat is a 24' runabout with 2 speakers in the rear and 2 in the front. I was thinking about adding the 2 new ones to the middle, but I will probably stick with the 4 I currently have and save the 2 new ones. I am planning to run all new wires for the speakers and radio when I replace the radio.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Amplifiers provide lots of advantages beyond just added volume. With just a radio powering your speakers you don't have access to the gain setting. If you turn it up too far the little amp in the stereo clips which causes distortion and damages speakers. If you properly set the gain on an external amp you can prevent this from happening. Also, many amps have built in crossovers that allow you to filter out some of the really low bass frequencies that your speakers can't reproduce well anyway. This further saves them from damage. Also, more power just sounds better because of the increased dynamic range.
If you can figure out what your speakers continuous power rating is, called RMS, and get an amp that also produces about that much RMS power your sound will be a lot better even if you don't turn the volume up any louder. Many marketing departments like to put the peak power rating of amps and speakers on the box to impress you. Ignore any watt ratting that isn't given in RMS, they are meaningless and exaggerated.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
The RMS of my speakers are 75w. They are Dual 2-way speakers so I am sure they won't sound as good as the higher end speakers no matter what I do