Everstart Batteries???

wjhuskey

Seaman
I returned an Everstart cranking battery to Walmart tonight. It suddenly quit cranking my motor and wouldn't charge up. It likes a few days being a year since the purchase date and the battery says free 1 year replacement. But tonight, they tell me at Walmart that the computer says it's not able to be returned. They said if I had my receipt for the old battery, they might be able to help me. I didn't have old receipt with me. Bought new battery and left old one for core. Came home and miracously found old receipt. Laying here unable to sleep hoping they will refund me for the new battery when I take all receipts back tomorrow to show purchase dates and battery serial numbers. Think they will?
And...
The new battery is a group size 24 with like 690 MCA. I'm wondering if it is even the right size I need to crank the 225 Mercury. Old battery was 1000 MCA and shorted out. So what are you guys using for battery sizes, for cranking and trolling, or should I quit buying Everstart altogether? I've read some bad things online since my bad experience.

The Force power

Commander
MCA stands for Marine Cranking Amps (with starter-motors in mind that draw 390-500 amps range)
CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps (with starter-motors in mind that draw *** amps at 0 degrees)
CA stands for Cranking Amps (with starter-motors in mind that draw above 600 amps

Deep-Cycle batteries are for a slow steady drain of electricity and when drained completely will except charge/being charged and have a limited amount of massive discharge of amps (like starting the motor)

Automotive batteries are good for providing a massive discharge but are not suitable for a steady drain (like Trolling-motors
and many other draining accessories)
Automotive battery when completely drained will initially not accept a charge other then small amount (1-2 amps) then slowly it increases to max charger-out put and decrease as its being charged up

Lets look at what kind of battery is suitable for your application;

Do you just start the motor and run the boat?
Do you use lots of accessories for a long period of time when the motor is not charging the batteries?

Everstart may not be the most reliable battery out there I prefer the battery that bears the name; that is another word for Highway
(keep in mind what ever brand you buy the above rules apply)

I like the 31 seize

The Force power

Commander
MCA stands for Marine Cranking Amps (with starter-motors in mind that draw 390-500 amps range)
CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps (with starter-motors in mind that draw *** amps at 0 degrees)
CA stands for Cranking Amps (with starter-motors in mind that draw above 600 amps

Deep-Cycle batteries are for a slow steady drain of electricity and when drained completely will except charge/being charged and have a limited amount of massive discharge of amps (like starting the motor)

Automotive batteries are good for providing a massive discharge but are not suitable for a steady drain (like Trolling-motors
and many other draining accessories)
Automotive battery when completely drained will initially not accept a charge other then small amount (1-2 amps) then slowly it increases to max charger-out put and decrease as its being charged up

Lets look at what kind of battery is suitable for your application;

Do you just start the motor and run the boat?
Do you use lots of accessories for a long period of time when the motor is not charging the batteries?

Everstart may not be the most reliable battery out there I prefer the battery that bears the name; that is another word for Highway
(keep in mind what ever brand you buy the above rules apply)

I think a 31 seize battery is more suitable for your application

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Gave up on off brand batteries for the boat and farm equipment a while ago. Too much of a crap shoot.

People argue that they’re all made by the same companies, which I agree. But are they made to the same standards and specifications?

Companies dont lower profit margins to hit price points. They lower cost. One less lead plate in the stack. A thiner outer shell. Something has to give

When it comes to batteries, size matters. Starting batteries can’t handle deep discharges. Your only one or two deep discharges away from a failure.

If you run a lot of electronics and troll you need a lot of reserve. I run deep cycles batteries for just that reason.

Get the biggest battery that will fit in the allotted area. If you took out a 1000 MCA battery, replace with the same.

wjhuskey

Seaman
This particular battery is used to start the Mercury 225 outboard and there are 2 Lowrance 7 inch fish finders hooked to it along with other normal electronics that come on a bass boat - but nothing extra fancy, just the normal navigation lights, dash gauges, etc. The other 2 batteries are trolling motor only and I have a marine battery for that with a label that advertises trolling.

The Force power

Commander
Are they all hooked up together? When batteries are hooked parallel to each other ( or in series when applicable) and one of the cells in one of the batteries is bad; will result in draining all others connected.

Also Deep-cycle batteries should not be inline with automotive-batteries as the charging-rate is totally different.

Also make sure the marine batteries are deep-cycle batteries and not just "marine" (see my notes posted earlier)

Last edited:

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
or should I quit buying Everstart altogether? I've read some bad things online since my bad experience.

I happen to know a guy who makes automotive type batteries for a living... There are only 3 companies that manufacture batteries so most likely your Everstart came off the same line as whatever name brand you prefer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There are only 3 companies that manufacture batteries so most likely your Everstart came off the same line as whatever name brand you prefer.
The same manufacturing line doesn't mean a thing. Are they made using the exact same materials, specifications and design?

In my industry there are at least five "quality classifications" coming off the same line. Material that don't make the grade are simply sold off at reduced prices.

FWIW: The Everstart trademark was filed by Johnson controls in 1989. Then transferred to Walmart Stores Inc. and is currently owned by Walmart Apollo LLC.

Last edited:

KD4UPL

I buy lots of batteries form a local dealer. Most are for off grid solar systems but I get my vehicle and boat batteries there too because he gives me a good price due to the volume of my business.
Years ago I bought a good number of the same battery and when he loaded my truck I noticed they were two different brands. "They're the same battery" he said. "I just put different labels on them." I was a bit confused until he showed me the stacks of different brand labels from his distributor. He gets the batteries in "blank" with no decals and applies whatever decals the distributor wants him to use. So yes, they are all the same from one manufacturer except for the labels.

TBarCYa

FWIW: The Everstart trademark was filed by Johnson controls in 1989. Then transferred to Walmart Stores Inc. and is currently owned by Walmart Apollo LLC.

The trademark is owned by Walmart but the batteries are made by JC. The same as probably 80% of the lead acid batteries made today.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The trademark is owned by Walmart but the batteries are made by JC. The same as probably 80% of the lead acid batteries made today.
Johnson Controls is out of the lead acid battery business. The Power Solutions Division was sold to an investment firm back in November 2018.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...on/1987434002/

According to Walmart, batteries made be sourced locally to save shipping. Check the individual UPC codes to determine by whom and where the battery was built.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Everstart are the best to use in a bassboat as: 1) If you need a new one a store is usually less than 40 minutes of your location 2) no questions asked so swap out yearly.

TBarCYa

Johnson Controls is out of the lead acid battery business. The Power Solutions Division was sold to an investment firm back in November 2018..

I know the guy who works for JC making lead acid batteries... But I guess you know better than me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I know the guy who works for JC making lead acid batteries.
I wish him luck..things can get messy when a company is divided up between a number of investors.. I lived thru 5 buyouts before I was let go.

http://www.globallegalchronicle.com/...ions-business/

Brookfield Business Partners L.P. (NYSE:BBU) (TSX:BBU.UN) together with institutional partners and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (“CDPQ”), have reached an agreement whereby Brookfield and CDPQ will acquire 100% of Johnson Controls’ Power Solutions business for approximately $13.2 billion.

The Business produces batteries for global automakers and aftermarket distributors and retailers for use in nearly all types of vehicles, including hybrid and electrical models.

Brookfield Business Partners expects to fund approximately 30% of the equity on closing from existing liquidity. CDPQ will commit to fund approximately 30% of the equity on closing, and the balance will be funded by other institutional partners. Prior to or following closing, a portion of Brookfield Business Partners’ commitment may be syndicated to other institutional investors.