Stereo and speakers

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a ‘92 BR200 with 4 speakers and a radio. Radio turns on and appears to tune, but I can only faintly hear sound. Tried ohming out a speaker...appeared to test fine, but only did one? Any diagnostic tips to troubleshoot between the radio and speakers?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You need to do some basic trouble shooting. If you don't know how, then I would suggest a place that installs audio equipment in cars.

You would need an additional sound source to test each speaker, and an another speaker to test the amp output. Make sure the speakers wiring has the polarity correct.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your still on the original radio? most die after about 10 years in a marine environment

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you don't have much electronic experience, I'd suggest you take one speaker, that you know for certain is good, and wire it up at the radio/amp/head unit to see if it works. If even one of the outputs are bad, I'd say buy a new unit and carry on. It would cost more to fix the defect radio then you can buy a new one for... JMHO

madsonp

Seaman Apprentice
A little more info would help, what make and model stereo do you have ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Put a meter on the speaker wires. No voltage is a blown output transistor.

Sounds, pun intended, like a shorted speaker. Connect a speaker know to be good to verfiy operation

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Put a meter on the speaker wires. No voltage is a blown output transistor.

Sounds, pun intended, like a shorted speaker. Connect a speaker know to be good to verfiy operation

dingbat, I think you may be thinking about older stereo systems. Rarely do any of them anymore have discrete output transistors these days.They mostly use quad IC amp for their outputs.That is why I suggest he buy a new unit if even on channel is bad.

I too remember those days when they used power transistors and such, as well. But to get so many options in such small units, they gone to power ICs and micro-controllers for everything now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in a world of $99 head units with new speakers....why not replace it.

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agree on the world of 99 units and just replacing. The unit is old so probably just shot. Thanks for the input everyone!