Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Selector switch for 1971 50hp evinrude model 50172S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selector switch for 1971 50hp evinrude model 50172S

Need some help wiring a selector switch for 1971 50 hp evinrude model 50172S . I can't figure out which wires goes where I have a green,blue,purple-green,purple. I have 3 prongs on the bottom one has R one has F and one has +. At different times I've had forward and neutral and no reverse than I had neutral and reverse and no forward please help. Motor runs good.

Are you sure you have the correct switch ?------That system is in forward when motor is NOT running.-------12 volts is applied to green to get neutral.------12 volts is applied to both wires ( green and blue ) to get reverse.---------No voltage required anywhere to get forward gear.-----Motor must be TURNING to provide oil pressure to shift function !

Comment

I'm pretty sure I do it's look like the rest of the one on line I'm thing I have the wiring going to the wrong prong ?

Comment

Is this a new switch you have ?------A new to you motor ?-----Did the problem show up suddenly ?-----Some simple testing can be done.----Interested in how to do this with simple steps , yes or no ?

Comment

I bought the boat,motor and trailer there was no switch, they had it wired to toggle switchs I bought the switch on ebay I wanted it back original because the switch was still available and yes I can take all the wires involved off and started from scratch

Comment

Do you have a part # for the switch you have now.-----There are 2 different switches and step # 1 is to determine if you in fact have the correct one.-----One system needs 12 volts applied to get forward gear.----The system on your motor defaults to forward with no voltage needed !

Comment

The part number for the switch I have is 279090.

Comment

That is the correct part #.---Turn ignition switch to on..---With forward button pushed in there should be no voltage to the blue or green wire.-----With neutral pushed in there should be 12 volts to the green wire.-----With reverse pushed in there should be 12 volts to blue AND green.-----Have you confirmed that the wires going into the lower unit are hooked up correctly ?----Green to green.----Blue to blue.----What oil is in the lower unit ?------The solenoids do not move the clutch dog.----The solenoids direct oil pressure.----Motor must be turning to do the shifting.

Comment

Do you have a multi-meter / ohmmeter ?

Comment

Any pictures of the terminals on this 279090 switch.----Just puzzled as to why there is an F as there is no voltage required for forward.

Comment

Comment

I'm not sure what wire goes where now the wiring diagram I pulled up has the colors that go to the switch but not what color goes to what prong they go to..

Comment

Purple goes to positive.--------Then try blue to R and green to F------If It does not work correctly then change the blue and the green around.------No damage can be done if they are wrong the first time.

Comment

Does a purple with green stripe go anywhere because the diagram I'm looking at say it goes to the switch

Comment

Purple and purple/ green are the power supply and both go to the same terminal------. One from the battery and one from the blocking diode--------You do have the blocking diode in the controls / wiring I hope.
                              Last edited by racerone; February 6th, 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X