Illuminated Rocker Switches

LakeHouseBoat

Recruit
I have a Hurricane Sundeck 202 and I am looking for illuminated rocker switches for the dash. My issue is that when out at night, the switches are not illuminated so you can't see what switch is what driving in the dark. Does anyone know if Hurricane ( Godfrey Marine ) makes these switches?

If they do, I noticed on switches I can buy etched that it has another power source for the illumination part of the switch. Will I have to run additional wiring for a 4 prong switch versus a stock switch?

Much appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Boat manufacturers buy their components for the most part. As Scott mentioned - Carling Technologies is a supplier to many of the boat companies.

If you take one of your non-lighted switches out and get any numbers or information off the back of the switch, you should be able to determine the manufacturer and hopefully cross reference to a lighted version of the switch. You will want to make sure the pins/tabs match the existing and you keep track of how the wires were connected to the original switches.

You will have to take a look at the wiring behind the switch panel to see if an illumination wire is already there in the wiring harness, or if you will have to add the wiring.

tpenfield

Staff member
If you can post a few pictures of the switches, that may help ID them. I found a picture of a 2017 Hurricane Sundeck 202, and the switches looked to be like the Carling Contura III - there are both illuminated and non-illuminated versions of these switches.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The switches on the contura series are all the same, only the the actuator changes

Contura 3 only have the little slits for the lighting

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Instead of trying to replace all the switches with illuminated types, you could install a little LED type light that would illuminate the entire panel to see all the switches. Just an idea.

tpenfield

Staff member
The switches on the contura series are all the same, only the the actuator changes

Contura 3 only have the little slits for the lighting

Yes, so the OP will have to change the switch bodies to the lighted and the actuators to the Contura II (correct ? ) . . . assuming they are the Carling switches.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Instead of trying to replace all the switches with illuminated types, you could install a little LED type light that would illuminate the entire panel to see all the switches. Just an idea.

A pair of stainless license plate LED bolts from Lite-n-boltz would be great for that

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...caAklTEALw_wcB

DEI-030310_ml.jpg

Yes, so the OP will have to change the switch bodies to the lighted and the actuators to the Contura II (correct ? ) . . . assuming they are the Carling switches.

yes. however even the carling knock-offs by blue sea will interchange parts. those chinese sure can copy

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Regardless of the lighting option the OP chooses, ensure he uses the red colored lights in order to preserve his night vision.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The first switch on the dash, (or on the side), should be an always lighted switch that is labeled "dash lights".
Use this switch to power or turn off all the other dash lights, switches, and gauge lights.

Its nice to turn them all off sometimes when night fishing, or watching the fireworks, but you need to keep the engine running.