3 way Switch

Can some one explain this to me? I bought a boat and the nav lights are weird. The bow lights come on as soon as I put the them in the socket with the switch off. I turn the switch on and they go off but the dash lights come on. I am thinking the switch is wired wrong but I dont know how the way switches work. Any ideas?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
simply google navigation light wiring and you will get thousands of hits.

sounds like its wired wrong

center should be off, forward both the nav lights and all-around light, with the switch aft, should only be the all-around light for anchoring.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Here is a typical nav/anchor light wiring setup. This shows a DPDT setup using a steering diode. If you want to go without a steering diode, then you will need a different switch setup. Hope this helps you and you can transfer this to your setup.

Attachments

• photo307495.gif
    photo307495.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
OK got it. Thank you all so much for replying. I will try it and see if that works. I don't think it has a diode but I am gonna check and make sure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
see the first schematic that AD posted.

alldodge

Staff member
The bow lights come on as soon as I put the them in the socket with the switch off. I turn the switch on and they go off but the dash lights come on.

Just thought of something else, it could be the original switch was replaced with the wrong type. You need a ON/OFF/ON DPDT, so it has an OFF position in the middle