1970 85hp Evinrude propeller won't go forward

KEVLAR1212

Cadet
I need help!! I have been working on my boat solo and have made significant progress...I have one final issue...my propeller will only go in reverse and not forward. I have the push button gear selector and I cannot determine why the forward does not operate...I do have the SAFETY SWITCH bypassed..meaning the white wire coming off the solenoid going to the SAFETY SWITCH was diverted to ground. (only way I can fire engine up). I don't think that is the problem...could it be the NEUTRAL SHIFT SOLENOID that is bad? I have troubleshot the switch itself but it seems to check out according to troubleshooting manual..anyone have any ideas?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
For your information..------The motor clutch dog is spring loaded to go into forward when motor is NOT RUNNING.-----And it goes to forward when no voltage is applied to the solenoids with motor running !!-------Describe in detail if you have any voltage going to the nuetral solenoid when FORWARD is selected.------Note the solenoid does not move the clutch dog.------The solenoids direct oil pressure to a piston that then moves the clutch dog.-------So is your motor in forward when it is NOT RUNNING, yes or no.

KEVLAR1212

Cadet
Thanks racerone for responding....I have completed the testing as you prescribed and as the attached instructions says:
Tests performed operate exactly as the book says it should. GREEN MOTOR CABLE LEAD gives a 12v reading in neutral and reverse only....BLUE MOTOR LEAD gives 12v reading in REVERSE ONLY...clutch dog only engages when REVERSE button is pushed only...when in NEUTRAL or FORWARD...no engagement...MOTOR IS NOT IN FORWARD WHEN IT IS NOT RUNNING. Propellor is free spinning when not running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, it is supposed to be in forward when the motor is not running !-------So the verdict is that the shift piston bore is damaged ( metal bits from the filter screen ) and the spring can not force it into forward.--------Easy fix for me.

KEVLAR1212

Cadet
I appreciate that racerone....I wish you were in TEXAS..lol..I will investigate those findings and keep you posted!

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have the factory manual.------No need for a manual for me.--------Why post pictures of pages from a manual ???