Motorguide 24V 70lb

rdy2ride

Recruit
I have a 2005 Motorguide 24V 70lb motor that I think needs a new module. Are there troubleshooting techniques available to determine if module is bad or not? Also, I have only tried to run it on 12 Volt instead of the needed 24V for checking of the motor. Does the motor require 24V to actually work, or will 12V run it on a lower level of performance? Thinking that maybe the control panel will not function without 24V. Fixing to head out to shop now for a 24V test run. Any info appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Like so many electronic items these days, if it specifies 24 volts it will not likely work on 12 volts. A fish finder for example requires 12 volts to operate and will drop out if battery voltage drops too low. Unless your motor has a 12/24 switch on it, it is 24 volts only and very likely will not work on 12 volts because of the electronic control circuitry. If it were an older "speed coil" type of motor it would likely run but with much less authority.

rdy2ride

Recruit
Still not working, even tho I hooked it up to 24 volts. Ohm'd wiring from head to foot all the way to the module connections best that I could with no broken wiring found. Is there a way to trouble shoot the module or are these better just replaced?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I'm not versed in what's all located in the motor housing but if there are no electronics down there, disconnect the motor wires at the module and feed 24 volts to the motor. Or connect the motor normally, set the speed control to MAX and check voltage OUT of the module. If voltage is present and the motor doesn't run the issue is with the motor. You can also disconnect the motor wires from the module and feed 24 volts directly to the motor. If it runs, the module, switches or wiring leading to it are bad. If not, the motor has an issue.