new stereo head

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i am changing out the old, worn out (2005) sony for a newer model with bluetooth, i have been looking at the mex-xb120bt and the mex-m71bt both are sonys, my boat came with sony and has lasted up til last year, it still works but my kids would rather use bluetooth from their phones for music. the other reason for change is i installed an 8 channel amp but it has rca connections and stereo does not so i needed a line converter which didn't have a "how to tune it" so that's off and i have to shake it up every so often to get sound out...corrosion, any info would help me decide as to which one. thanks..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Wow, for second there I thought you were going to say, "i installed an 8" tack tape system... :faint2:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looked at doing the same last Spring.was going to cost me upwards of $350 to duplicate the existing head unit with Bluetooth.

Did a bunch of research and decided to give a standalone Bluetooth module a try.

Works like a charm and saved myself $200 along the way

i had pretty much decided in a Fusion RA70 before pursuing the standalone option.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
The newest headunits are so massively packed with features, they are at a point of overkill. Do you have transom and helm remotes that you will need to swap out as well? You can pick up a headunit for a hundred buck that was made for bluetooth and streaming not just a model that has lightly included the ability to use bluetooth. Kenwood, for example, makes feature packed models with good stats when you compare alongside far more expensive models.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my current head unit has an aux imput. a $5 bluetooth adapter to 3mm input works perfectly.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
And here all this time I thought a Bluetooth was a stage of tooth decay. Learn something new everyday. :pound: :sorry: