Marine receiver replacement suggestions

suds1421

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning,

I have a 25 year old tape deck in my Four Winns. I have some amazon gift cards and would like to replace it with a digital receiver. I'd like bluetooth and the ability to add an external remote.

I will also be adding a small amp and replacing the speakers as budgets allow.

Any suggestions?

harringtondav

Commander
My only advice is to purchase a marine receiver, or a receiver with a display that is readable in the sun. Dark characters on a white background. I bought an auto receiver years ago, and have regretted it since. It works fine, but I cannot see the display in the sun without a lot of trouble and putting a shadow over the display.

Also, pay attention to the power draw. If I crank mine up too high it will fade off, return and repeat. I suspect I have a power feed that won't provide the watts needed, and the receiver seems to be trying to adjust or protect itself.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I recently replaced the stereo in 1998 small cruiser with a Pioneer DEH-Xsomething... (no amp, but it could have one attached) - it has the more recent electronic goodies, including those you mentioned

briangcc

Commander
I've been taken with the Rockford Fosgate PMX-2/3 series. From what I have seen they are a breeze to synch with bluetooth. The downside is that this particular units take a round cutout, not the standard single DIN that your current headunit more than likely is.

Only advice I can give based on what came in my current boat - avoid Jensen. Total pain to synch with bluetooth. Took me over a half hour with the instructions as the menus are buried in submenus...of submenus. It's going away....SOON!