Hydraulic crimping tool for battery cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic crimping tool for battery cables

I'm looking to buy a hydraulic crimping tool for battery cables, automotive and boat. I've never used a hydraulic crimper, but they look like a better option than soldering on cable lugs. I don't have an issue soldering on lugs, but have a project that a crimper would work much better than soldering (and possibly melting things close to the cable).

Will an 8-ton crimper be sufficient to crimp up to 4/0 gauge cable? If not, what will fit the bill, 10 ton, 12 ton, 16 ton? I doubt I'll be crimping 4/0 gauge cable, more than likely 00 gauge or less most of the time.

Are the HF hydraulic crimpers any good, Ebay. Any horror stories or models to stay away from? I'm not looking to buy a high dollar crimper, something in the $30-50 range.

Suggestions?
    2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
    2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/othe...rminal-crimper

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9407a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	10687467
    One of our underground Mancha's battery boxes I re-did not too long ago, new batts and customs cables , needed a decent crimper
    Last edited by sam am I; December 12th, 2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Sam, that's one of the models/sizes I was looking at, and glad to see it worked well for those heavy cables you were crimping. Appreciate the thread link, it answered a bunch of my questions.

Comment

No problem and glad it helped...

Comment

I bought this and was impressed with it: https://m.harborfreight.com/hydrauli...ool-66150.html

Very happy after a couple dozen to rewire the dual battery system with ACR.

Comment

I bought something very close to this to swage cable fittings. It's basically double hinged bolt cutter with four sizes of crimping sizes. Very powerful. "Swaging tool" is the search keyword. BTW, I swear by Harbor Freight as shown above.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-S...CABEgJdZfD_BwE
            '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

I use the HF ones and have been for over 10 years now, when I was helping out at my buddy's camper shop, they got used a lot and held up just fine.

Comment

If you're just doing a few crimps, you can get a manual one that you hit with a hammer. This is what I did and it worked great.

EDIT:
                Whoa! Those hydraulic ones are way inexpensive! I just looked them up. 10 ton kit for like $40! No brainer...buy the hydraulic one! I'm used to the very sophisticated super expensive units I've used as an electrician. (I'm retired now)
                Last edited by poconojoe; December 14th, 2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post

EDIT:
                  Whoa! Those hydraulic ones are way inexpensive! I just looked them up. 10 ton kit for like $40! No brainer...buy the hydraulic one! I'm used to the very sophisticated super expensive units

Last edited by sam am I; December 14th, 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Looks like I'm going with the 10-ton model. Thanks for the input guys!

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post
                    Whoa! Those hydraulic ones are way inexpensive! I just looked them up. 10 ton kit for like $40! No brainer...buy the hydraulic one! I'm used to the very sophisticated super expensive units I've used as an electrician. (I'm retired now)
                    I know where you're coming from. The RJ45 crimping tool I have was $80, 20 years ago, but it's top of the line... I bet it's still working perfectly fine when the $40 hydraulic crimper has made it's way into the trash bin.

Comment

Working...
                    X