Clarion XMD1

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Hey folks, I am looking to update the Clarion XMD1 in our cruiser. Its an awesome system, and sounds great, but has no Bluetooth, just AM/FM CD. There are no other inputs to make use of. There are already multiple sets of speakers, sub-woofer, 2 additional amps, a 6 pack CD changer, and a remote at the helm. I'm really hoping I can just drop another head unit in, and have it connect with all the existing connectors.

Anyone know if this is possible? Doesn't have to be a current Clarion model.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lewis1111

Seaman
I'd upgrade it to the new Clarion M606. The wiring harness might not be the exact same but with Clarion all the wires will be the same color so it'll be easy to splice in the new stereo. It's a good stereo, I 've installed a couple of them this year. Does everything you need it to.

Attachments

• photo304964.jpg
    photo304964.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Contact Crutchfield, they can advise which ones hook right up, or if you would need an adapter cable

RJAJr

Cadet
Hello I am on exactly the same path as I would love to do this on my boat and I have the same unit. My thought is I am going to need to change the unit and the remote at the helm. Crutchfield said that unit is so old that no wiring harness will match so plan on splicing. Which then means all that is really important is matching the size so it fits well in the hole.

They recommended a Clarion M608 with the MW1 wired remote. Roughly $530 all in plus shipping and your time to install.
Size should be about 7.7" w x 3.5" h to fit. I have to believe I can find a better price point then $530 to get the ability to stream music. I will let you know what I find.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
I contacted Clarion directly, and they too recommended the M608. The issue I have with it, is that it doesn't have a CD player and it will not connect to my existing 6pack CD changer. Call me old fashioned, but I still want the ability to play a CD once in while. I'm going to have to dig deeper, and figure out what I'm going to do.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have similar problems with auto sound. I like CDs and still play them. I have 2 Sony 10 disc CD changers. You can no longer buy a new Sony head unit with changer control. So, I buy used ones off of Ebay if I need a new head unit. I suspect Clarion is the same way. I doubt they make a unit with changer control anymore.