Garmin model numbers?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It looks like I need to replace one of the GPS / depthfinder units in my boat. I currently have a Garmin Echomap CHIRP 54dv (with a bad sounder) and I'm finding the 54cv, 53dv, 53cv and all manners of other variants but no clear documentation of what the different numbers mean.

I know the 5 means it's a 5" display which is what I need. I had thought that the DV was for downvu and CV for clearvu but my DV has clearvu...

So, if someone can give me an indication of what the model numbers actually mean it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that one digit indicates the generation and another for a feature but I sure can't figure it out. The refurbished 53cv is very reasonably priced and something I read said that it's a 2017 version of my 54dv but that just adds to my confusion about model numbers.

Thanks for any help!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
DV and CV are--at least as far as the head unit--the same thing, Garmin changed terminology from "DownVu" to "ClearVu" due to some lawsuit from a competitor.

(It gets a little more complicated when talking about GT vs CV transducers, which were the actual crux of the lawsuit):
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=gIrXJ4RZGm0ypilqQFGs0A

An SV model means it also has "SideVu"

Last edited:

TBarCYa

Ok, so that clears up that part... So anything with CV *should* be newer than the DV unit I have but that makes the 54 vs 53 more confusing... Because I would expect that the 53 would be older than the 54 but the 54 is DV and the 53 is CV.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I believe the difference between x3 (53, 73, 93, etc.) and x4 (54, 74, 94, etc.) is that the x3 models come loaded with Lake charts (and can come bundled with higher frequency transducers more suited to freshwater), and the x4 models come loaded with Coastal charts (and can come bundled with lower frequency transducers more suited to salt water).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
(It gets a little more complicated when talking about GT vs CV transducers, which were the actual crux of the lawsuit):

I like the marketing spin they put on the CV vs GT issue now that they have a bunch of technically "inferior" CV transducers to dump.

At issue, both law suit and performance wise, is the configuration of the transducer. The GT transducers has three (3) elements. The CV only has two.

The GT supports the down view (clear view) function using a single, dedicated "center channel" element. Lacking the center element, the CV uses the overlapping returns from the two, outward looking (side view) elements to construct a "center channel".

Lowrance was pretty quick to point the venerability of the CV configuration to blind spots directly under the boat by running ads showing side by side comparisons of the two units.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a GT transducer before US Customs was ordered to shut down the import of GT transducers as part of the law suit.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I got a GT transducer for my 74SV head unit...but I had to buy them separately because--as I understood it--the effect of the lawsuit was that Garmin could no longer bundle GT transducers with head units, but they could sell them separately. Bundles had to include the CV transducer.

Problem is--again, as I understand it--they made an overabundance of CV's, and temporarily stopped making GT's; though I have heard that's not an issue anymore (???)

So IMO the OP's best bet, assuming his head unit is still functional, is (if you can!) to locate and purchase just the appropriate GT transducer. If you buy a whole new package, it's likely--maybe certain--to come with the CV 'ducer.

Which brings up the question, just how are (were) you using your 54DV, salt or fresh? Depths? Species targeted? Transom mount?
(This info will help narrow the transducer search.)

Last edited:

TBarCYa

Well.... I haven't actually used the 54 yet. When I got the boat it had the 54DV with no transducer and a Fishfinder 320C with a dual frequency xducr for depth. I bought the GT23M xducr for the 54 and swapped the 320C for a 50s that I have from another boat. The plan was to have the GT23M on the 54 and the dual frequency on the 50s and typically use one for charts and the other for depth / fish. What I found is that the xducr already on the boat (dual freq) isn't compatible with the 50s and the sounder in the 54 is defective. This leaves me with no depth at all right now.

So, the plan is to either get a refurb 54dv to use for sonar and keep the existing one for charts or to get the 54 fixed and install a good xducr on the 50s.

I'll likely stick with the 54 since I boat in salt water in Tampa Bay and the Gulf however since I have the Bluechart G2 vision card, I could use it with the 53 and not worry about the built-in maps.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
OK, so you're saying that your 54dv head unit is no good. IMO the GT23 is a good transducer for your intended use, so best bet IMO is to just replace the head unit (no bundle, save a few bux)...might go ahead and step up to a larger screen, like a 74? (Or 94 if touchscreen appeals to you...it does not appeal to me!)

It does sound like your card would cover your chart needs should you find a deal on a 53 or 73 unit...bear in mind though that the EchoMAP series only has one card slot, so if you go that route you may not be able to take full advantage of contour mapping...if you care about that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I got a GT transducer for my 74SV head unit...but I had to buy them separately because--as I understood it--the effect of the lawsuit was that Garmin could no longer bundle GT transducers with head units, but they could sell them separately. Bundles had to include the CV transducer.
The dance that they where doing with the CV an GT transducers was the result of a temporary cease and desist order that prevented GT from import. Once Garmin won the law suit outright, there where no restrictions on marketing of products whatsoever.

The Federal Circuit’s decision not only reverses the ITC’s original orders, but supersedes all related rulings by U.S. Customs and the ITC, including an initial determination that Garmin should be subject to a $37 million fine for selling DownVü products. Garmin is now free to import and sell any and all sonar products.

“The Federal Circuit’s sweeping decision, finding that Navico’s downscan technology was an obvious modification of old sonar systems, puts an end to Navico’s unfounded and vicious patent war against Garmin,” said Andrew Etkind, Garmin’s vice president and general counsel. “Not only does the Federal Circuit’s decision eliminate the ongoing disputes at the ITC, it renders Navico’s other lawsuits in Oklahoma and Texas without merit.”

A quick Google search turned up any number of units bundled with GT transducers.

TBarCYa

OK, so you're saying that your 54dv head unit is no good. IMO the GT23 is a good transducer for your intended use, so best bet IMO is to just replace the head unit (no bundle, save a few bux)...might go ahead and step up to a larger screen, like a 74? (Or 94 if touchscreen appeals to you...it does not appeal to me!)

I thought about the larger screen but there's not a whole lot of room in the panel where the 54 is flush mounted. Besides, I still don't know if I'm going to be keeping this boat once the rehab is done or if she's destined to be sold.

It does sound like your card would cover your chart needs should you find a deal on a 53 or 73 unit...bear in mind though that the EchoMAP series only has one card slot, so if you go that route you may not be able to take full advantage of contour mapping...if you care about that.

It's weird because my EchoMap 50s has 2 slots and 2 NMEA connections unlike the 54.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's weird because my EchoMap 50s has 2 slots and 2 NMEA connections unlike the 54.
Your 50's are serial only. One NMEA 0183 input and one output. The new models are NMEA 2000 compliant.

TBarCYa

Your 50's are serial only. One NMEA 0183 input and one output. The new models are NMEA 2000 compliant.

No, it's two independent NMEA 0183 ports, each with distinct TX and RX and separate settings for each. I currently use port 1 for connecting to the 54DV and port 2 for connecting to my VHF radios for DSC.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No, it's two independent NMEA 0183 ports, each with distinct TX and RX and separate settings for each.
That's because NMEA 0183 needs a dedicated port to communicate with each piece of equipment. Connect the VHF and you only have one other port to use. A relic of antiquity by today standards.

NMEA 2000 allow you to communicate with as pieces of equipment as you like.

I have fish finder / chartplotter combo, a multiple function display, remote GPS antenna, fuel flow, paddle wheel speed, VHF, radar and AIS networked together.

The configuration gives me full display redundancy while at the same time, making all the sensor data available for both units. If I loose the remote GPS antenna for one reason or another, I switch the GPS input to the MFD over to the internal antenna of the combo and vice versa.

Rather slick...

TBarCYa

That's because NMEA 0183 needs a dedicated port to communicate with each piece of equipment. Connect the VHF and you only have one other port to use. A relic of antiquity by today standards..

It can TX to multiple but only receive from one. For example, the TX on port 2 sends to two VHF radios but the RX is only connected to one. As far as it being a relic... So is the boat.