Are all electric trolling motors created equal?

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
I am hoping there is one or more among you willing to share some non-biased advice based on experience with various electric trolling motors.
I am looking to buy one in the near future (maybe black Friday?) and have found myself with at least 4 options to consider from 4 different manufactures.
12V options:
Minn Kota C2 Endura 55 (36") $306 CAD
Newport Vessels 55 (30") $310 CAD
Seamax 55 (32") $280 CAD (65 = $320 CAD)
Unibest 60 (28") $260 CAD

Would a 28-30" shaft be enough for a standard transom height? Or are these dingy/kayak only?
Is there a standard by which Lbs Thrust is measured or are these simply marketing numbers?
In the case of the Seamax 65 vs. Minn Kota or Newport 55's is a 10 lb thrust gain worth the additional $10-14

I appreciate your thoughts,

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been using Minn Kota motors for many years now in the various models they have made and I have never had any problems with them. How big of a boat will you be using it on?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Selecting a trolling motor (TM) starts with what do you want the TM to do. While that sounds like an odd question, it really depends on how you plan on using the TM and the boat it will be installed on. If you are merely looking to troll down a back and fish for crappie brim, or even bass, in more coves out of the wind, then a small low thrust trolling motor will work. However, if you have plans to troll open water, that could easily have lots of winds, then you may need a lot more thrust. Ane if you are using a very small jon-boat, again, not much thrust needed. But a large heavy Bass boat or pontoon rig will require a lot more power. So you have to tell us what you are using and and how, and then we can offer a much better answer.

I will say this, I rarely trolled open water in a pretty large Bass Boat and I got away with a Motor-Guide three speed setup without any problems. It may have been around 30 to 40 pounds thrust at best, but rarely ever used wide opened. JMHO

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would base motor selection first by thrust then efficiency.

Stick with “name brands” for long term serviceabiliy

fishrdan

Admiral
Minn Kota C2 Endura 55 (36") $306 CAD
Newport Vessels 55 (30") $310 CAD
Seamax 55 (32") $280 CAD (65 = $320 CAD)
Unibest 60 (28") $260 CAD

Minn Kota - Well known respected brand
Newport Vessels - never heard of them
Seamax - never heard of them
Unibest - never heard of them

Parts availability (and service if needed) are important, unless you're looking for a throw-away trolling motor. I've had several MinnKota trolling motors that have been dependable. Even bought a used bow mount MK with a snapped shaft for $100, repaired it for another $200, new it cost $1200....

The MK C2 Endura 55 is a 5-speed "old school speed coil" inefficient trolling motor.

Look at the MK Endura MAX with infinite variable "digital speed control". They can run up to 5x longer as speed coil trolling motors, but realistically, they will run 2-3 as long. They cost more, but that cost is offset by not having to buy a second trolling motor battery. When I used speed coil trolling motors for trolling, I would get 3+- hours out of 1 group 29 battery, with a digital trolling motor I can troll 6-8 hours.....

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
Newport vessels is out of San Francisco. Thought they might have some cred in the US.
Seamax Marine is out of B.C, primary business is inflatables.
Ill be using the motor on a 14 1/2 ft fibreglass runabout. Lake fishing, no open water.

Sounds to me the consensus is Minn Kota for quality, durability, repair and battery life, at least with the Endura Max. I appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

JimiT

Cadet
I'll second the Minn Kota, my small aluminum is a 14 footer, 30lb thrust. I works fine unless in windy condition. My 18 ft Lund has a 101lb bow mount and moves it effortlessly, only downside is it's 36v. Have never had a concern with them.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Check the major brand websites for proper sizing. Thrust and shaft length is important. I know Minn Kota has or had a sizing calculator on their site. You need to measure from your deck down to the surface of the water to determine shaft length. I believe the weight of the boat is needed to determine thrust. Your best application is bow mount for better control. When you transom mount, the bow will wander all over the place because you are pushing the boat instead of pulling it through the water.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You also have different controls. You can get a pedal control that is either cable actuated, or driven by wire electronically. I personally don't have an opinion between the two, but my bass fisherman buddy preferred the cable driven one. Maybe others here can voice their opinions on that.
Then you can get a remote controlled one. And even a fob that hangs from your neck to control it. Then there's the ones that connect to your fish finder that you can mark and save spots where you previously caught fish.
Some will even keep you on a set path without any input.
Then there's the plane ole ones with the tiller handle.