Where is the inverter

Jonezin1

Cadet
I recently picked up a 75 28 ft Uniflite sport sedan
where in the hell is the converter, I plugged in the shore power and nothing at the fuse box
shore breakers are on but I'm not getting anything to my outlets
plus I want to replace it with pure slin unit.

Lift12

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not familiar with your boat but I have a few thoughts:

The shore power problem could be your power cable. If the connectors show any brown or worse, black discoloration around the pins they have heated up and possibly burned out. If you find this the cable should be replaced regardless. Check the connector on the boat as well. If it all looks good verify the voltage at the end of the cable with a multi meter if you can.

Are your outlets GFCI protected? Have a look at each one and test&reset any that you find. On my boat the first outlet is GFCI and when it trips the rest down the line go out too.

If you can't find the inverter, are you sure you have one? They certainly were not standard equipment on a boat that size in 1975.

Jonezin1

Cadet
Something had to charge the batteries

I did check each outlet, the connection cable is new out the package. But I don't get anything at the breaker, that's why I have been thinking there's something between the shower power and the breaker box.
inverter well back then they was called converters

And again I was thinking there must be 1 because these was higher end in there day. They came with factory heat and air fridge cook tops etc etc.

ty for your thoughts

alldodge

Staff member
I plugged in the shore power and nothing at the fuse box
shore breakers are on but I'm not getting anything to my outlets

Follow the shore power cord from where it enters the boat to the breaker panel, there may be another breaker prior to the panel. My Formula has one behind the rear seat close to the shore power connection

As for the converter, you may not have one. Many boats have been made without them including mine. To use a converter you would need several batteries. Most are shore power only or also have a generator

Jonezin1

Cadet
Thanks I will check it out, the connection for shore power is behind a bathroom wall
there's a couple panels screwed in I'll look into those

so let me be clear,
generally the shore power is wired directly to the breaker box and farmed out from there?

so that theory always creates a question for me,

what's charging the batteries when it's plugged in????

alldodge

Staff member
generally the shore power is wired directly to the breaker box and farmed out from there?

Correct

what's charging the batteries when it's plugged in????

Most have a breaker labeled Bat Charger which turns on the charger, and is under the main breaker

You have been discussing an inverter which is a device that takes 12VDC and converts it to 120VAC

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you have factory shore power you will have a main panel with a main power breaker, reverse polarity indicators, and individual breakers for the other feeds, outlets, fridge, charger, etc.Never assume it came standard from the factory because some things can be deleted from the build.

Jonezin1

Cadet
Yes I have a panel just like that, and I'm not getting any power there. At the main or any of them.

I'm sorry I have been meaning a charger yes