I need to extend Merc wiring harness.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I have controls for a (I think) 2003 Mercury 60HP. I got this used and need to extend the wiring harness as it is going on a houseboat with the helm far forward.

I could get an extension but the chase where my controls run is on top of the pontoon and under the deck which would make it hard to access and also exposed to salt water which I do not want to do.

I suppose my best option is to get a complete new harness, 30' long, and rewire it to my existing control box. However, the only thing I could find online would cost $350 and that seems a bit dear.

Secondly, I could just buy wires and bundle them into a new harness and splice the old plug onto the end so that the splice is inside the motor compartment where it will be protected and accessible. I could even get vinyl tubing of a diameter that would hold all the new wires so they are only exposed at the helm and the motor.

So, my question, can anyone point me to a reasonably priced 30' harness or give me a better alternative than what I mentioned? I tried to post a picture but the upload failed however I can say that the plug has 8 pins with 1 pin in the center and the other 7 pins making an almost complete circle around the center pin.

Thanks for reading.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Ah, upload worked this time.

Attachments

• photo304535.jpg
    photo304535.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott,

Yes, that was where I started. Unfortunately every link I followed so far ends up the wrong plug or the wrong length.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Actually, after adding up the cost of the wire, I would gladly pay $350 if I can find the right harness as it will cost nearly as much to make it myself.