Gps?

Ptowner

Recruit
Just picked up an older Allmand and looking to outfit it with GPS. Are there reliable GPS apps for an Iphone or Ipad?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

you can use navionics, however depending where you are on the globe and where the sun is, you may not be able to see the screen unless its over-cast.

I have given up on GPS apps in Florida because you cant drive a boat while trying to shield the phone from the sun with your hat while trying to see the screen. not to mention in direct sunlight many phones and ipads will shut-down because they over-heat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Also, while the gps will work on an iPhone even without a cell connection, the mapping app needs a continuous cell connection.

So, pick up a chart plotter.

Alumarine

Captain
Also, while the gps will work on an iPhone even without a cell connection, the mapping app needs a continuous cell connection.

So, pick up a chart plotter.

I'm not disagreeing that a chart plotter is better but with the Navionics App you can download the maps you need to use without cell service.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Ok, not aware they were downloadable, thought it was all live updated through the cell signal.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You can do that (download maps if you’re going to be offline) with Google Maps, too, and maybe Mapquest, too. Pretty nifty feature! I imagine most mapping software, nautical or otherwise, has a feature now to download maps.

Jedreli

Recruit
I downloaded the map offline, through the WIX application and everything works. downloaded in upstore

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm using an Ellipsis 7 tablet from Verizon and Navionics. It works OK but I need to get my cigarette lighter working because the battery doesn't last long. I ordered a bracket with a suction cup that I attach to the windshield. I keep the bimini top up and glare hasn't been a problem. I eventually want to get a Garmin but this setup works OK for me.

Last edited: