Gps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps?

Just picked up an older Allmand and looking to outfit it with GPS. Are there reliable GPS apps for an Iphone or Ipad?

welcome aboard.

you can use navionics, however depending where you are on the globe and where the sun is, you may not be able to see the screen unless its over-cast.

I have given up on GPS apps in Florida because you cant drive a boat while trying to shield the phone from the sun with your hat while trying to see the screen. not to mention in direct sunlight many phones and ipads will shut-down because they over-heat.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Also, while the gps will work on an iPhone even without a cell connection, the mapping app needs a continuous cell connection.

So, pick up a chart plotter.
      Medford, WI

Comment

Originally posted by roscoe View Post
        Also, while the gps will work on an iPhone even without a cell connection, the mapping app needs a continuous cell connection.

So, pick up a chart plotter.
        I'm not disagreeing that a chart plotter is better but with the Navionics App you can download the maps you need to use without cell service.
        1980 Sylvan Aluminum 18' Sportster I/O - Mercruiser 140, Honda 7.5 Kicker, Bennett M120 Tabs
        1974 Glastron V-179, Mercruiser 140
        1984 16.5ft. Alumarine Sealark side console with 82 Merc 50
        Manitoba, Canada

Comment

Ok, not aware they were downloadable, thought it was all live updated through the cell signal.
          Medford, WI

Comment

You can do that (download maps if you’re going to be offline) with Google Maps, too, and maybe Mapquest, too. Pretty nifty feature! I imagine most mapping software, nautical or otherwise, has a feature now to download maps.
            Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

I downloaded the map offline, through the WIX application and everything works. downloaded in upstore

Comment

I'm using an Ellipsis 7 tablet from Verizon and Navionics. It works OK but I need to get my cigarette lighter working because the battery doesn't last long. I ordered a bracket with a suction cup that I attach to the windshield. I keep the bimini top up and glare hasn't been a problem. I eventually want to get a Garmin but this setup works OK for me.
                Last edited by legalfee; December 21st, 2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X