bow mount 1990's MK trolling motor, is it 24 or 12v?

charly1954

Seaman
I've searched the net with no luck on its voltage. MK site doesn't have any info on it its too old. From little info I have found I think its a late 1990's model and not sure if it runs on 24 or 12. No where is it labeled 24v or 12v. From what I read even if I found the voltage the foot pedal probably will not work, guess lots of those with the square plug go bad. If can't get it working will mark it up to a small $25 loss.

Whats wrote on the motor
Can't find a model number
serial number is MKFR1018413
motor w/prop says Quiet Turbo Pro Power
Side of the mounting bracket says autopilot
Top of mounting bracket says, Turbo Pro 812 42# thrust
Top of power head says, weedless Wedge Propeller Auto-Pilot
I think the pedal is a Power Drive V1 has square plug.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The model number is the Turbo Pro 812 and it is probably between a 1991 and 1995 or around there, I would call Minn Kota and let them know what you have, it is a 12v motor, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Back when those came out, they were designated by the number, number 812 was the 12v model and the 824 was the 24v model.

Last edited:

charly1954

Seaman
42# thrust? 99% chance that's a 12V trolling motor. Least I've seen for a 24V TM is 65#.

Check out this site to see if you can find that serial number, they have tons of MK schematics and parts.

https://www.fish307.com/minn-kota-schematics-parts/

Think I've been to that site or one that show the exact same chart to figure out a MK year. My Ser.# is MKFR1018413 and according to these sites the 3rd & 4th letter are supposed to tell the year, my Ser.# is does not work with the chart. There is a F but no R on the chart codeing. I believe MKFR in my ser.# means Minn Kota Fresh Water so my serial number does not show the year.

charly1954

Seaman
Hooked it up to my 12v and the only thing I could get to work was L/R turn and auto-pilot. The motor would not turn so I don't know if its because of a bad pedal or something in the motor or electronic end. The prop does turn by hand so I assume the motor is not froze up.

There is a few V1 pedals selling on ebay but I would hate to spend $100+ for a pedal and motor still not work. If I could test the motor by bypass something then I would know if the problem is the pedal or motor. Anyone know of anyway to test the motor without the pedal?

Last edited:

charly1954

Seaman
Finally got it to work.

I watched to 2 videos below and follow their help. The only real problem inside I found was the amature part where the brushes ran on where very dark and the male connectors from Pos/Neg wires to the brushing where a little dark. I run emery cloth over the armature and male connectors(taken out of the bracket). Then connected the Pos/Neg wires back on the bracket and hooked the battery up to see if I got juice to the bushing. I got 12.8 volts so I thought maybe it would run when put back together and it did. Now all I have to do is make a platform on my 14' to put the motor on.

Electric Trolling Motor Diagnose and Repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5xTHJBuV1Q

Trolling Motor Repair Guide | Troubleshooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKtXFaDSPE

fishrdan

Admiral
Good to hear it's back to life. Since you cracked the motor housing open, you need to replace all the seals, or the motor will most likely have water intrusion. Check fish307, they sell the reseal kits (or individual seals) cheap, and they are quick to ship.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, that is normally what happens on the older motor, I would expect you already have water intrusion on that motor if the brushes and armature is black, so it would be best to track down new seals and rebuild it, that was not a cheap motor when it was new and I still see them every once in a while and for the age, they are still not cheap.

charly1954

Seaman
Good to hear it's back to life. Since you cracked the motor housing open, you need to replace all the seals, or the motor will most likely have water intrusion. Check fish307, they sell the reseal kits (or individual seals) cheap, and they are quick to ship.

I looked at the site and this 1994 motor ( https://www.fish307.com/content/schematics/minnkota/1994/865812824.pdf ) looks like my motor. Searched the part numbers and they are out of stock on the gasket and O-rings. The big oring I was surprised when I pulled it, it looked like and felt like new. The 2 screw orings looked a little smashed and the flat gasket had no sign of damage and still rubbery. Since out of stock I can find O-rings at our Rural King store but the flat gasket I'll be SOL.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I looked at the site and this 1994 motor ( https://www.fish307.com/content/schematics/minnkota/1994/865812824.pdf ) looks like my motor. Searched the part numbers and they are out of stock on the gasket and O-rings. The big oring I was surprised when I pulled it, it looked like and felt like new. The 2 screw orings looked a little smashed and the flat gasket had no sign of damage and still rubbery. Since out of stock I can find O-rings at our Rural King store but the flat gasket I'll be SOL.

They use the same seals and gaskets on a lot of their motors, also in the past I have use flat gaskets from other sources to repair trolling motors, I picked up a flat gasket kit at Harbor Freight and have used them for all kinds of things, from my snow plow pumps to boats to seals in cars, they inexpensive and normally you will find one that is the right size in their kits.

charly1954

Seaman
Try this link, scroll to the bottom and see if the "Quick Kit" for your motor is there. https://www.fish307.com/minn-kota-trolling-motor-quick-kits/

Lots of parts in those kits you probably don't absolutely need, but for $15, it will pretty much rebuild the motor.

Hey, tks a bunch. It looks like parts in my motor. All I have to do is take motor apart and measure the diameter to make sure it is 3-5/8", I assume this is O.D.size.

I made another post last night asking if 2 MK motors can run off 2 parallel 12v batteries, no replies yet. I bought a new transom this summer and I hate to not use it, to late to return it.
tks again

fishrdan

Admiral
Yes, motor OD.

You can run two trolling motors off a parallel bank of batteries, no problem there. You can even run them at the same time, but it will reduce the battery run time.

"IF" these are cheap speed coil TM's, I wouldn't run them at the same time as you will be burning power through the speed coils of both TM's, at the same time. If they are "digital" TM's, this is not an issue sine digital TM's use far less power at slow speeds compared to old tech speed coil (cheap) TM's.