1976 Evinrude 25hp ignition switch problems

JGraap

Cadet
Good morning all. This is a bit long winded, and I am sorry in advance. I tried to include as much info as possible to make it easier for you to help if you choose. As the title says, I have a 1976 Evinrude 25hp engine. The engine model number is 25603E which has an electric start function that I cannot seem to wrap my head around. It’s so simple and I'm just missing something. I had an ignition switch in years ago until the steering cable under the dash came loose and wrapped around all the cables and tore the electrical connections from the back of the switch. Originally, it was a 5-post switch with a separate chock spring loaded toggle switch. I wanted to eliminate the toggle switch and get a push to choke ignition switch. West Marine sold me a Sierra part number MP41000 for the replacement. After returning home, I see it is a 6-pin switch. I thought this would still be a simple install, and for all I know, it was. The issue I am having, I get nothing from the starter when I turn the ignition switch to the start position. I can hear the solenoid click however, the starter does not function. Additionally, the chock does not click when the key is pressed in for the push to choke function. As a major note, the engine does pull start and run smooth when started this way. I have attached a couple images because I know they always help. I currently have the following wires hooked up as follows.
Black “M” terminal
Black “M” terminal
White “S” terminal
Blue “B” terminal
Red “C” terminal
In my mind, this should work. I have checked power to the starter at the time the ignition switch is in the start position and I have 0.0v. I have checked continuity to the engine ground to make sure I have a good connection and I am good there when tested from the battery post to the main ground point. Any help here would be awesome. Thanks so much for your time and thoughts.

Attachments

• photo303825.jpg
    photo303825.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303826.jpg
    photo303826.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

oldrem

Commander
I used a similar Sierra switch on my '75 Johnson. Here's the diagram I made up for it - works perfectly. Broken lines are White/Blue and White/Purple on mine

Ignition Switch.jpg

JGraap

Cadet
Oldrem, I appreciate the feedback! I was doing a bit more digging today, and found I likely have a faulty solenoid. It clicks when the switch is turned to the start position, however the starter receives no power at the positive post. I jumped the solenoid across the two large posts and the starter instantly kicked over. I'm going to look for a replacement solenoid today and see if that gives me the key start I have been looking for. I'll keep it posted.

JGraap

Cadet
I feel like I owe it to anyone that runs across this thread in the future to know the final answer. I had the switch wired correctly as I had shown where I just deleted the toggle switch for the choke and hooked the purple choke wire in the diagram directly to the switch. The reason my engine would not start was a faulty starter solenoid. I was able to send ignition power to the solenoid when I turned the key. The solenoid would click, but I had not voltage on the starter side. Just because it clicks, does not mean it works. I found an OEM replacement on Amazon and had it to the house a couple days later. Installed it and was on the water using the ignition key just a couple hours later. If you are running into something like this, I hope my moment of clarity helps you out.